'97 Jetta - 3rd Brake Light dead / Programming alarm transmitter

Old August 29th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Default '97 Jetta - 3rd Brake Light dead / Programming alarm transmitter

I'm the proud new owner of a very used GLX V6. After getting the car
home and looking at things closer I found that the 3rd brake light does
not work. The light fixture is fine but I'm getting no power from the
wire so was wanting to troubleshoot that. Does anyone know where I
might find the other end to make sure it has a good connection? (I
hope this is not too lame of a question). I'm guessing up under the
dash on the drivers side...

I also found in the glove box an unopened bag containing a alarm
transmitter. I'd like to program it so that I can use. The bag had a
part number on the bag "PRO 94BT2" FCC ID:ELVAT5B. I found the manual
at

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=&brand=

But it says put the key in the on position and then switch the valet
switch on/off 3 times and then push the 1st button. I don't see and
don't think I have a valet switch! Help.

Thanks.

JB

Old September 11th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question regarding the alarm
transmitter. I finally went into a VM dealer and asked about getting
this transmitter programmed and he said that there was no option with
the factory installed alarm in the '97 model to have keyless entry. He
thought that it might be possible to switch out the alarm control
module with the '98 which DOES allow for keyless entry.

JB