WHERE is the PS pump pivot bolt on a '93 Sentra?

Old July 14th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
DemoDisk

Default WHERE is the PS pump pivot bolt on a '93 Sentra?

I thought I'd save some money buying and replacing three engine belts
myself -- AC, PS/WP, and Alternator. The job turned out to be a lot
harder than I imagined.

Day 1. (Afternoon, actually; it's really hot out there.) The outermost
belt (the A/C) gave up quickly once I figured out the idler pulley, but
the alternator wouldn't budge along its slotted track until it was
almost dark. That's when I found the alternator's pivot bolt. Aha, the
Pivot bolt!! It pivotted and there was slack, behold! But that belt is
blocked by the PS belt. And now it's dark. ****.

Day 2. What keeps me from changing the PS/Water Pump belt is the PS pump
won't budge. I found and loosened its lock nut, but the adjusting bolt
does nothing. Guess it didn't read the manual. So, I'm guessing it's a
pivot bolt issue again, but *where is it*??

What I loosened on the front side was probably the adjuster bracket bolt
(can't see nuthin). If the PS pump pivot bolt is the 14mm on the *back*
of the PS pump, my puny 6" Craftsman ratchet wrench is no match for it,
and that's all I can get in there. Any ideas??

So you can see I'm not much of a mechanic, but I tried. After putting my
'93 Sentra XE on the jackstands three times, I called the Goodyear
place. The tech said they're not that crazy about installing parts
(belts, in this case) brought in by a customer, but WTH, they'll do it
for $71.

This isn't spare cash, it's rare cash, and I can think of things I'd
rather spend it on. $71 to change two belts. >: Þ

Thanks for your attention,
Jm

Old July 16th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Zee

On Jul 14, 1:27*pm, "DemoDisk" > wrote:
> I thought I'd save some money buying and replacing three engine belts
> myself -- AC, PS/WP, and Alternator. The job turned out to be a lot
> harder than I imagined.
>
> Day 1. (Afternoon, actually; it's really hot out there.) The outermost
> belt (the A/C) gave up quickly once I figured out the idler pulley, but
> the alternator wouldn't budge along its slotted track until it was
> almost dark. That's when I found the alternator's pivot bolt. Aha, the
> Pivot bolt!! *It pivotted and there was slack, behold! *But that belt is
> blocked by the PS belt. And now it's dark. ****.
>
> Day 2. What keeps me from changing the PS/Water Pump belt is the PS pump
> won't budge. I found and loosened its lock nut, but the adjusting bolt
> does nothing. Guess it didn't read the manual. So, I'm guessing it's a
> pivot bolt issue again, but *where is it*??
>
> What I loosened on the front side was probably the adjuster bracket bolt
> (can't see nuthin). *If the PS pump pivot bolt is the 14mm on the *back*
> of the PS pump, my puny 6" Craftsman ratchet wrench is no match for it,
> and that's all I can get in there. Any ideas??
>
> So you can see I'm not much of a mechanic, but I tried. After putting my
> '93 Sentra XE on the jackstands three times, I called the Goodyear
> place. The tech said they're not that crazy about installing parts
> (belts, in this case) brought in by a customer, but WTH, they'll do it
> for $71.
>
> This isn't spare cash, it's rare cash, and I can think of things I'd
> rather spend it on. *$71 to change two belts. *>: Þ
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> Jm

$71 for changing belts? That's expensive.

Anyways try this -> http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=107

You need to register to download the manuals.
Old July 22nd 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
DemoDisk

"Zee" > wrote in message
On Jul 14, 1:27 pm, "DemoDisk" > wrote:
> I thought I'd save some money buying and replacing three engine belts
> myself -- AC, PS/WP, and Alternator. The job turned out to be a lot
> harder than I imagined.
>
> Day 1. (Afternoon, actually; it's really hot out there.) The outermost
> belt (the A/C) gave up quickly once I figured out the idler pulley,

but
> the alternator wouldn't budge along its slotted track until it was
> almost dark. That's when I found the alternator's pivot bolt. Aha, the
> Pivot bolt!! It pivotted and there was slack, behold! But that belt is
> blocked by the PS belt. And now it's dark. ****.
>
> Day 2. What keeps me from changing the PS/Water Pump belt is the PS

pump
> won't budge. I found and loosened its lock nut, but the adjusting bolt
> does nothing. Guess it didn't read the manual. So, I'm guessing it's a
> pivot bolt issue again, but *where is it*??
>
> What I loosened on the front side was probably the adjuster bracket

bolt
> (can't see nuthin). If the PS pump pivot bolt is the 14mm on the

*back*
> of the PS pump, my puny 6" Craftsman ratchet wrench is no match for

it,
> and that's all I can get in there. Any ideas??
>
> So you can see I'm not much of a mechanic, but I tried. After putting

my
> '93 Sentra XE on the jackstands three times, I called the Goodyear
> place. The tech said they're not that crazy about installing parts
> (belts, in this case) brought in by a customer, but WTH, they'll do it
> for $71.
>
> This isn't spare cash, it's rare cash, and I can think of things I'd
> rather spend it on. $71 to change two belts. >: Þ
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> Jm

$71 for changing belts? That's expensive.

Anyways try this ->
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=107

You need to register to download the manuals.

Zee, thanks for your help. I *finally* got the job done (2nd weekend,
fourth time putting the car on jackstands).

Jm

Old July 23rd 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
fred

"DemoDisk" > wrote in
news:JIednaGacLIci8HXnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@yournetplus. com:

> I thought I'd save some money buying and replacing three engine belts
> myself -- AC, PS/WP, and Alternator. The job turned out to be a lot
> harder than I imagined.
>
> Day 1. (Afternoon, actually; it's really hot out there.) The outermost
> belt (the A/C) gave up quickly once I figured out the idler pulley, but
> the alternator wouldn't budge along its slotted track until it was
> almost dark. That's when I found the alternator's pivot bolt. Aha, the
> Pivot bolt!! It pivotted and there was slack, behold! But that belt is
> blocked by the PS belt. And now it's dark. ****.
>
> Day 2. What keeps me from changing the PS/Water Pump belt is the PS pump
> won't budge. I found and loosened its lock nut, but the adjusting bolt
> does nothing. Guess it didn't read the manual. So, I'm guessing it's a
> pivot bolt issue again, but *where is it*??
>
> What I loosened on the front side was probably the adjuster bracket bolt
> (can't see nuthin). If the PS pump pivot bolt is the 14mm on the *back*
> of the PS pump, my puny 6" Craftsman ratchet wrench is no match for it,
> and that's all I can get in there. Any ideas??
>
> So you can see I'm not much of a mechanic, but I tried. After putting my
> '93 Sentra XE on the jackstands three times, I called the Goodyear
> place. The tech said they're not that crazy about installing parts
> (belts, in this case) brought in by a customer, but WTH, they'll do it
> for $71.
>
> This isn't spare cash, it's rare cash, and I can think of things I'd
> rather spend it on. $71 to change two belts. >: Þ

This sort of thing *must* be in the Chilton manuals.