vent control mode cable, 93 dohc

Old July 13th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
CBrooks

Default vent control mode cable, 93 dohc

This cable, when the dash lever is pushed to the left, sends the
air to the front air vents, when pushed to the right, it sends
the air to the windshield. From my Haynes manual, it says there
is a clip that keeps the cable onto the plastic control arm of
the lever. Well my clip evidently either disappeared or the
control arm broke due to the cable not working as freely as it
should normally. In the past I knew that it needed some kind of
lubrication and did try that spray-on red colored bear grease.
That did not do the trick. Anyone got good advice for this? Can
a clip be bought separately or should I just jury-rig it?

Also, where exactly is the other end of this cable and how hard
is it to get to? Haynes doesn't go into detail on this. Thanks - CB
Old July 13th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

I broke off the clip while I was replacing the heater core. (man that
plastic air ductwork was a hassle!)
But to continue consistant control capacity, I made better my mistake
by gluing the outer cable conduit-end to the mounting stub. Use
gorilla snot or some kind of super sticky ethyl vinyl based glue that
wont let go. (Dont glue your fingers together.)

-WaV
trying to defeat the laws of entropy
One Saturn at a time

Old July 14th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
CBrooks

I took out the radio and watched the levers & cables in action.
I noticed the one working heater control cable also did not have
a clip on it. The Haynes manual vaguely shows using a needle
nose to pinch the plastic post to get the cables on or off. If
there were supposed to be metallic clips on the cables and
posts, I don't know what happened to them. Am wondering if the
car alarm installer wacked them years ago. Anyway they sure are
not there.

Also, googled this subject and found one relevant ng post and it
basically said the reason this one control lever works so hard
was because the older Saturn's have a problem in the actual flap
that controls the air diverting direction. Sure enough it was
plainly visible by using a flash light looking down the throat
of this vent. The foam backing/cover is really messed up and has
come un-glued and thus is making it's normal proper easy motion
real screwed up. So am going to try and fix that somehow if I
can figure out how to get to that foam covered flap. Think this
would fix it. Thanks....

Old July 15th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
CBrooks

Well the 'ol bugger is fixed! The old ng tip about that material
on the vent flap that comes un-glued on the older Saturns was
right on. I managed to use a coat hanger and remove that liner
in bits and pieces. Took my time as it was hothothot out. Then I
used a paper clip to retain the cable onto the post so will call
Saturn to cancel my order for the clip which isn't cheap.
Managed to fix my radio also in this process and all is good
again with my car til the next thing goes.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
OBD II Error message Billy Ray Jeep 13 July 2nd 05 04:01 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
97 cherokee A/C MJG Jeep 4 March 31st 05 03:42 AM
Climate control mode question FerdyPooh Ford Explorer 1 November 8th 04 06:35 AM