Collapsed PCV Hose - '94 Accord EX

Old August 21st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gary Kaucher

Default Collapsed PCV Hose - '94 Accord EX

1994 Honda Accord EX

I just noticed that the PCV hose was collapsed while idling, as if there was
a vacuum on it and the walls of the hose were not strong enough to hold the
vacuum. I will replace it and the PCV valve. What kind of problems can this
cause?
Thanks,

Gary

Old August 21st 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Gary Kaucher wrote:
> 1994 Honda Accord EX
>
> I just noticed that the PCV hose was collapsed while idling, as if there was
> a vacuum on it and the walls of the hose were not strong enough to hold the
> vacuum. I will replace it and the PCV valve. What kind of problems can this
> cause?
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

it's caused by a faulty pcv valve or blocked tube/breather box. the
collapsed tube itself is no big deal unless it's lost its rubberiness
and won't spring back to shape when the vacuum's gone.
Old August 21st 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Gary Kaucher" > wrote in
:

> 1994 Honda Accord EX
>
> I just noticed that the PCV hose was collapsed while idling, as if
> there was a vacuum on it and the walls of the hose were not strong
> enough to hold the vacuum. I will replace it and the PCV valve. What
> kind of problems can this cause?
> Thanks,

Depending on the cause, excessive pressure in the crankcase, and/or oil in
the air intake pipe to the throttle body.

Does your PCV valve connect to a hose that goes down the back of the
engine, through the intake manifold web? If so, the oil separator box may
be sludged up. If your PCV valve is the sort that connects to the top of
the valve cover, then the valve cover baffles may be sludged.

Check for oil in the intake hose and the throttle body.

You may simply be using an inadequate PCV hose, such as an aftermarket one.
Is the PCV valve aftermarket? Aftermarket PCV valves can have incorrect
flow rates that can cause other problems.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 22nd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gary Kaucher

> You may simply be using an inadequate PCV hose, such as an aftermarket
one.
> Is the PCV valve aftermarket? Aftermarket PCV valves can have incorrect
> flow rates that can cause other problems.

Yes. The PCV hose had seams on it and it appeared to have collapsed along
those seams. The interior of the hose was not clogged or oily, but there was
an oily odor and evidence of some erosion. I replaced it with 5/16" rubber
fuel line hose. The PCV valve was aftermarket and there seemed to be
considerably more "rattle" in it than the OEM replacement.

Thanks,

Gary