Clutch Judder from standstill on E46 330D

Old September 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
M C

Default Clutch Judder from standstill on E46 330D

Hi,

I have E46 330D (2000) and since about a month ago I've been getting a
judder when engaging the clutch from standing. It seems more noticable when
the car is being driven from cold or negotiating a parking space in first
gear etc. The clutch is not slipping and the car has done 88,000 miles,
mainly on the motorway. Any ideas ?

Thanks

MC

Old September 23rd 04, 10:14 PM
Simon Cussonnet

I've had the same problem on several 3 series (E30).
When this arrives, and the car is stopped (ie. at the traffic lights), I put
the GB in 5th, I put the hand brake and I release the clutch while playing
with the accelerator pedal. The car can't move and the engine must not
stall. I do this two or three times during 5 sec max, stopping prior to
smelling burnt rubber.

Now the last car has 196000 km on it and I didn't replace anything else than
the disks, the drums and one bearing.
I used this procedure 5 or 6 times on the same clutch and it's still worming
fine.

Old September 24th 04, 01:40 AM
Jim

"M C" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have E46 330D (2000) and since about a month ago I've been getting a
> judder when engaging the clutch from standing. It seems more noticable

when
> the car is being driven from cold or negotiating a parking space in first
> gear etc. The clutch is not slipping and the car has done 88,000 miles,
> mainly on the motorway. Any ideas

This sounds like the beginning of clutch problems...
Jim

Old September 24th 04, 05:26 AM
Jim Levie

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:40:03 +0000, Jim wrote:

> "M C" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have E46 330D (2000) and since about a month ago I've been getting
>> judder when engaging the clutch from standing. It seems more noticable

> when
>> the car is being driven from cold or negotiating a parking space in
>> first gear etc. The clutch is not slipping and the car has done 88,000
>> miles, mainly on the motorway. Any ideas

> This sounds like the beginning of clutch problems... Jim

Could be, or it might be a driveshaft problem. Sticky bearings in the
drive shaft show up first during high torque situations, like from a
standing start. The milage is enough for either to be a credible
possibility.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old September 24th 04, 11:40 AM
PyroJames

M C > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have E46 330D (2000) and since about a month ago I've been getting a
> judder when engaging the clutch from standing. It seems more noticable

when
> the car is being driven from cold or negotiating a parking space in first
> gear etc. The clutch is not slipping and the car has done 88,000 miles,
> mainly on the motorway. Any ideas ?

Clutch judder may also be an issue of soggy engine mounts, the whole engine
"shudders" as the clutch tries to take up. These are easier to check that
the clutch, so do it before commiting to a new clutch!

--
PyroJames
Anything burns if you soak it in liquid oxygen first.

Old September 24th 04, 01:50 PM
adder

"M C" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I have E46 330D (2000) and since about a month ago I've been getting a
> judder when engaging the clutch from standing. It seems more noticable when
> the car is being driven from cold or negotiating a parking space in first
> gear etc. The clutch is not slipping and the car has done 88,000 miles,
> mainly on the motorway. Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
>
> MC

Could be engine/transmission mountings going bad or even the rubber
guibo thing if there is one.
Old September 27th 04, 07:32 PM
M C

Thanks for the replies.

I did quite a lot of driving later today and the clutch judder wasn't too
bad at all, in fact, hardly noticable, but pulling away first thing this
morning it was quite bad. Seems that it's worse when the car has been
standing for a while. Any explanation for this ?

MC

Old September 30th 04, 09:19 AM
adder

"M C" > wrote in message >...
> I'm not a BMW mechanic but both those explanations sound plausable to me.
> Is this something you have come across or are you speculating ? I'm getting
> it looked at soon by the dealer but I they're not that good. When they tell
> me to buy that expensive new clutch, maybe I'll insist that they change the
> mounts first! Where could a leak be coming from onto the clutch? Again,
> its hardly been noticable today, and as the other chap said, some more revs
> and finesse seem to help but a 330D ain't the kind of car to drive like an
> old codger, revving the balls out of it when parking and such. I can live
> with ot for now until it starts slipping or getting worse.
>
> MC

I started to get judder, albeit on a much older E36. I replaced the
clutch (while replacing the gearbox) but it was hardly any different
after. Never did bother trying replacing any mountings or bushes. I
sold the car about a year later.

My E46, I can pull away just using idle revs.
Old September 30th 04, 04:05 PM
goose

"M C" > wrote in message >...

<snipped>

> old codger, revving the balls out of it when parking and such. I can live
> with ot for now until it starts slipping or getting worse.

I've found that to be the most accurate way of pinpointing a problem
(i.e. waiting for the damn thing to die totally so you know exactly
which bit broke).

Sometimes it evens works out cheaper getting a tow when it finally
breaks than to replace things one at a time until you've nailed the
fault.

One car a I purchased had a *very* slight hum at around 100km/h, and I
was advised to change the wheel bearing, change the tires, check out
the gearbox (was difficult to pinpoint actual suorce of noise) and
check out the gearbox. I decided to wait until it got loud enough
to get an accurate fix on the source of the problems.

That was over a year and 32000 km ago, and the hum has remained
pretty constant (no increase in volume).

Waiting until the fault is more obvious is the best approach.

<snipped>

cheers
goose,
humming cos I dont know the words :-)
Old September 30th 04, 07:57 PM
M C

Was the hum in a BMW??. I get a hum/whine in mine at 65-75mph which equates
to about 100kmh+. Thats a completely different story and one that I have to
live with but the dealer is looking at again in a couple of weeks, nothing
broke yet, just annoying! I see your point though, I just get annoyed by
the strange little noises, judders,jolts...

MC

om...