Drug users targeting Saturns

Old July 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Blah blah

In article <qYZIc.9780$ek5.5929@pd7tw2no>,
says...
> No, there are some GM vehicles that do have a chip in the key (I forget what
> that system is called, PASSkey III?) and some older GM vehicles used a
> PASSkey system where the key itself had a resistor on it, but the PASSlock
> system on Saturns and most other less expensive GM vehicles is all inside
> the lock cylinder, the key itself is not special.

The dealership was going to charge me 30 bucks for making a copy of my
ignition key (passkey). I said I'll pull my column apart and wire a
resistor in before I pay that! They dropped it down to list price which
was still 20 bucks. I settled at that...
Old July 14th 04, 08:21 PM
Dan Duncan

Skid > wrote:
> http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/in...70904n_saturns

"Of the 24 stolen in May, police have recovered 21 so far. They had not
been stripped for parts."

"Cops believe the thieves are drug users living in Nob Hill and Russian
Hill, who finance their habits with crimes such as auto and mail theft."

Wow, talk about your Keystone Cops.

Step 1: Steal car, drive it a few blocks, then dump it.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

""A Saturn is not the type of car you brag to your buddies about stealing,"
Nannery said. "It's an opportunists' car. These guys are ripping them off,
dumping them and stealing another one.""

How do they make their money to finance their drug habits? Volume!

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again. -Lazarus Long
Old July 14th 04, 10:10 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
Dan Duncan > wrote:

> Wow, talk about your Keystone Cops.

No, it's simple. Cops want to assume everything's {drug | gang | mob |
etc} related because politicians like to 'clean up' these problems.
Nobody cares if it's the generic joyriding kid, until it hits Newark, NJ
proportions, in which case it becomes politically useful to do something
about it. By linking crime to a larger social 'problem' (real,
percieved, or created), it hopefully gets the attention and $$$ from
the politicians. And let's face it, police depts just love getting toys
to play with, witness the paramilitary 'swat' teams, the constant call
for tasers, Copstangs and Copmaros, IR goggles, etc, and the almost
singular focus on speed enforcement. Because it's fun aiming a 'gun' at
traffic and chasing cars at high speed. Pulling over grandpa doing 15
below and weaving through traffic isn't. Nor is ticketing the soccer
mom in her UAV chatting on the cellphone to her friends about how hot
the new gardener is, while making a left turn from the right lane. I've
heard cops admit they LIKE to pull up behind 'suspicious looking cars'
(i.e., driven by a young black kid), and flash the lights to see if
they'll run or not.

> Step 1: Steal car, drive it a few blocks, then dump it.
> Step 2: ???
> Step 3: Profit!

*shrug*. It makes no sense to me either.

> How do they make their money to finance their drug habits? Volume!

They're not making it stealing saturns, that's for sure. Now, if it
were Honda Civic hatchbacks, or Navigators, it might be drug related.
But an old Saturn's got near zip resale value, and parts value isn't
spectacularly high either.
Old July 15th 04, 02:05 PM
C. E. White

Blah blah wrote:

> Actually I think theres a 3min delay before it cuts off the fuel pump.
> Otherwise any jostling of a worn out key on a bumpy road might make your
> car spit and sputter. Last thing I want to do is diagnose something like
> that.

I think once the the computer has detected that you are using the
correct key, it doesn't check it again for that start cycle. And from my
problems getting a remote starter to work, I think it never allows fuel
delivery if it does not detect the proper key.

Regards,

Ed White
Old July 15th 04, 02:10 PM
C. E. White

Robert Hancock wrote:

> No, there are some GM vehicles that do have a chip in the key (I forget what
> that system is called, PASSkey III?) and some older GM vehicles used a
> PASSkey system where the key itself had a resistor on it, but the PASSlock
> system on Saturns and most other less expensive GM vehicles is all inside
> the lock cylinder, the key itself is not special.

I am sure my Vue's key is "special." I can't just have a blank cut - a
generic blank won't run the car, even though it will operate the lock.

Regards,

Ed White
Old July 16th 04, 05:03 AM
Robert Hancock

Doesn't look like it - 2002-2004 Vue use the PASSlock system as well.

I'm not sure how exactly the mechanism they use inside the lock cylinder
works - it's possible that some generic keys might not work properly with
it. There is nothing electronic in the key, however.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old July 16th 04, 05:35 PM
C. E. White

http://www.roberthancock.com/

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
> > Robert Hancock wrote:
> > >
> > > No, there are some GM vehicles that do have a chip in the key (I forget

> what
> > > that system is called, PASSkey III?) and some older GM vehicles used a
> > > PASSkey system where the key itself had a resistor on it, but the

> PASSlock
> > > system on Saturns and most other less expensive GM vehicles is all

> inside
> > > the lock cylinder, the key itself is not special.

> > I am sure my Vue's key is "special." I can't just have a blank cut - a
> > generic blank won't run the car, even though it will operate the lock.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ed White

I am pretty sure there is a resitive element in the key that must match
the value stored in the computer. To get my remote starter to work I had
to add a bypass module that "learned" the restior value. i am away from
my home now, but when I get home I'll look it up in hte workshop manual.

Regards,

Ed White
Old July 17th 04, 06:41 AM
Robert Hancock

There is a resistor involved, but it's in the lock cylinder, not the key..

--

http://www.roberthancock.com/

Old July 19th 04, 01:20 PM
C. E. White

Robert Hancock wrote:

> There is a resistor involved, but it's in the lock cylinder, not the key..

Then why will the key I had cut at Ace not run the car? It
operates the lock cylinder just fine. Car runs fine with
either of the original Saturn keys, but won't run with a
hardware store key, or the "emergency" key card provided by
Saturn. I am going to review the manual tonight.

Ed
Old July 19th 04, 04:29 PM
C. E. White

I still have not had a chance to read the service manual,
but I'll admit I am very confused. Lots of on-line
references agree that the resistors are in the lock cylinder
and not the key. However, the Saturn dealer and the Ace guy
both told me my generic hardware store key won't run the
car. I suppose I need to actually verify this by trying to
drive home with the hardware store key. I still plan to
review the service manual.

Ed