C4 Dead Battery

Old August 20th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

Default C4 Dead Battery

I have a1988 convertible with the 4 + 3 tranny. If I didn't drive it
for about a week, the battery was dead. I thought it might be a
defective battery so I replaced it and had my mechanic check it out.
He reported that the charging system is OK and that there is only a
17ma draw when parked, which is acceptable. After a week without
driving it, it is dead again. Any ideas???

Old August 21st 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob Gee

Invest in a battery tender. I had the same problem with my 86 coupe and
after I started using the battery tender always charged up.

Old August 21st 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:53:26 -0700, PJ > wrote:

wrote:
>> I have a1988 convertible with the 4 + 3 tranny. If I didn't drive it
>> for about a week, the battery was dead. I thought it might be a
>> defective battery so I replaced it and had my mechanic check it out.
>> He reported that the charging system is OK and that there is only a
>> 17ma draw when parked, which is acceptable. After a week without
>> driving it, it is dead again. Any ideas???
>>

>'94 lamps might be different from '89 but I had one of the under hood
>lamps that didn't always turn off. Disconnected the connector, no
>problems since.
>
>--

===================
I second the Battery Tendar ...but I had the same problem...with the
same cause in both my 79 and in my 95 with the under hood light not
always shutting off... disconnected both and no more dead batteries...
PS...I still use the Battery Tenders on all my cars when I know I will
not be driving them for a week or more...and of course over the
winter.
Before using the battery tenders I was replacing at least 2 batteries
every spring...after the cars were stored during the winter...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Convertibles
76 & 79 Coupes

Old August 29th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

wrote:
> I have a1988 convertible with the 4 + 3 tranny. If I didn't drive it
> for about a week, the battery was dead. I thought it might be a
> defective battery so I replaced it and had my mechanic check it out.
> He reported that the charging system is OK and that there is only a
> 17ma draw when parked, which is acceptable. After a week without
> driving it, it is dead again. Any ideas???

Yeah, here's another thought. I had the C4 laid up since the first of
the month and fired it up yesterday. Was ready to pull out the charger
but checked the batt voltage before I turned the key. (11.3 volts --
out of a four year old battery). I then thought back to this thread.

Several years ago, my '89 developed a high resistance short (to ground)
in the *ground* wire to the spare tire lamp and this was bleeding the
battery down.

This circuit is a bit unusual since the 'hot' side of the spare tire
lamp is hot at all times. The ground is provided by the interior light
circuit. In the '89 there are enough lamps on this circuit that a
partial ground can draw a lot of milliamps but the lamps won't glow.
The infamous delay timer also plays in this sandbox so it ain't easy to
troubleshoot. You might take a close look at the wiring near the spare
tire. Seems strange that this wouldn't have showed up during the
mechanic's stray current check -- might be intermittent.

--
PJ
Old August 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Maddog

My 1984 battery would die after a week or so..no number of replacement
batteries or electrical checks could cure it...I then
en changed the ceasefire system to a 1990 TPI system with a new 1990
computer...I never had a dead battery again..even after a couple of months
of storage...the only elect item changed was the computer ecm...so I have
been told the problem must have been computer related..????

This seems to be a very very common problem with C-4 Cars...and there does
not appear to be any single solution to it....it drives everyone nuts..can't
even leave your car at the airport and expect it to start after a week...sad
situation..but then it is a GM product so what do you expect.

Old September 1st 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
W. Moore

Many yrs. ago I got tired of chasing electrons on my '75 to find the reason
for my dead/weak battery. I added a battery disconnect to the battery and
simply disconnect the system while not driving. End of problem. They are a
cheap fix when you run out of patience/ideas.

ups.com...

Old September 1st 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"W. Moore" > wrote in message
> Many yrs. ago I got tired of chasing electrons on my '75
> to find the reason
> for my dead/weak battery. I added a battery disconnect to
> the battery and
> simply disconnect the system while not driving. End of
> problem. They are a
> cheap fix when you run out of patience/ideas.

wouldn't a "battery disconnect" lose the memory settings in
the radio and other componets
like trip meter ?

--
"Key"
=====

Old September 1st 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RicSeyler

On his '75 that would work, I don't think there is anything with memory.
But on a C$ that would be a pain, like you said.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old September 1st 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
W. Moore

The only memory in the '75 is mine and that doesn't work very well any more.
:-)

"'Key" > wrote in message
> "W. Moore" > wrote in message
> > Many yrs. ago I got tired of chasing electrons on my '75
> > to find the reason
> > for my dead/weak battery. I added a battery disconnect to
> > the battery and
> > simply disconnect the system while not driving. End of
> > problem. They are a
> > cheap fix when you run out of patience/ideas.

> wouldn't a "battery disconnect" lose the memory settings in
> the radio and other componets
> like trip meter ?
>
> --
> "Key"
> =====

Dead battery '01 lw300 Oppie[_1_] Saturn 2 August 16th 06 05:31 PM
Help. replaced dead battery, now engine starts but won't run. tonyw VW water cooled 18 July 31st 06 07:39 AM
Recharging Battery? Nino NoSpam Honda 12 July 10th 06 04:50 PM
2003 Grand Caravan No Speedo or Tach after Dead battery Arthur Dent Dodge 4 July 5th 06 10:14 PM
Battery going dead! Jerry Bransford Jeep 0 January 19th 06 06:45 PM