Rain Channel Rust Fix?

Old December 18th 04, 07:18 AM

Default Rain Channel Rust Fix?

I have rust, bare metal surface rust, in the rain channels above the
door on my beetle. The rest of the paint is great. It is chipping at
the edges, like this rust was painted over last time the car was
painted. I do have a quart of matching paint though, and I was
wondering if there was a way to fix the rust there, either by wire
wheel or by some kind of rust inhibitor, and use that paint as a touch
up, and then blend the clear coats together. Has anyone ever tried
something like this? I've never attempted body work, but it's something
I'm working into. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 18th 04, 10:44 PM
Wolfgang

Sand blasting works to get all the rust (protect glass and surrounding
areas), then metal prep solution (phosphoric acid solution), then primer
surfacer, sand/fill with spot putty, another primer coat and final paint.
Unless its metalic or very new paint job it probably isn't clear coated. If
the pain matches ok don't risk the clear cahnging it (mot clears are
yellowish and change the final color).

oups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 02:45 AM
jjs

"Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> Sand blasting works to get all the rust (protect glass and surrounding
> areas),

Ya know, I read that a lot and maybe you should qualify it with "light
blasting" or "media blasting" with something other than sand. Sand blasting
can create a lot of heat and weakened steel. It's not such a large area that
handwork won't suffice.

Old December 19th 04, 05:08 PM
Wolfgang

You can't get into the rust pits and cracks between 2 metal pieces with sand
paper. Usinf a home air compressor doesn't generate enough heat to harm
auto metal. Yeah if you use a blaster meant to do bridges maybe. Media is
for alloys - like cylinder heads and alloy wheels. Try by hand but each pit
that you miss will bring back a paint bubble in 9 months or so. If the
metal is folded over there be sure to seal the seam with body caulk (3M or
Aveco are popular brands). If you don't care how it looks and only want to
stop the rust use POR-15.