Detroit Vs Japan

Old May 30th 05, 03:35 PM
Ruel Smith

Eric wrote:

> Wow... gotta say I agree with you there.Â*Â*Well,Â*onÂ*theÂ*absurdityÂ*ofÂ*unions
> part anyway.Â*Â*GenerallyÂ*mob-styleÂ*organizationsÂ*--Â*willÂ*strongÂ*armÂ*any
> business who doesn't want to play right out of town.Â*Â*SeenÂ*itÂ*done.

Like I said befo Businessmen negotiate contracts for a living. If they
can't negotiate a favorable deal with a union, then they don't need to be
in business at all because they're weak.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 30th 05, 03:51 PM
Mike Romain

Maybe I am missing something, but what does any of this bull **** have
to do about Jeeps?

Do you just get your jollies by seeing your name in print or something?

Sure seems like it.

Do you even own a Jeep? You have 'never' posted about it or Jeeps, just
off topic crap.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 30th 05, 04:23 PM
Ruel Smith

Mike Romain wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something, but what does any of this bull **** have
> to do about Jeeps?
>
> Do you just get your jollies by seeing your name in print or something?
>
> Sure seems like it.

Yeah, 1994 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0. I've owned it since brand new in Sept.
1993. 146,000+ on the odometer, only mildly off roaded.

No, I simply responded to the Detroit vs. Japan thing, and response after
response has led to this. Has this thread gotten out of hand and off-topic?
Probably so. Somewhere in this thread mentions of the UAW being the bad
guys and bad mouthing dealership mechanics really ticked me off.

If you don't like the posts, anyhow, don't read them. Simple enough.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 30th 05, 04:33 PM
Lee Ayrton

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> "Ruel Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>Most mechanics turned
>>around 80 book hrs. a week working a 5 day week from 8 AM to 5 PM, with an
>>hour lunch. Do the math: $20 x 80 = $1600 gross/wk = $83,200 per year
>>while working 40 hrs. a week.

> if you honestly believe _any_ dealership mechanic is making $83k a year then
> you have no idea at just how ignorant you are to how it really works. for
> starters, unless youve been there 15 years you arent going to see anywhere
> near $20 an hour. assuming you do eventually see $20 an hour it isnt really
> $20 an hour. manufacturers set how many hours they allow for a repair and
> pay you accordingly. for example, they may authorize 1 hour for changing an
> alternator even though it takes you 3 hours to change it. no matter how
> long it takes, youre getting paid for that 1 hour they allowed. you might
> know dealership mechanics who work 80 hours per week but you can bet your
> scrotum that they arent getting paid for it.

According to the US Department of Labor, median income for automotive
mechanics is about $36,000US, with the middle 50% earning between
$10.61US and $19.84US an hour. See:
<URL:http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm>

Those interested can go to <http://www.salary.com> and plug in their own
zip code to see what the median income in their area is. (That part is
free but the site looks like it charges for some info.)

The $20/hr plus flat rate to start sounds like an ad from a diploma
mill: "You too can be a highly-paid automotive technician by signing on
now with the Dinkelacker School of Cosmetology, Radio Broadcasting,
Culinary Arts and Auto Repair. Work on actual cars in our state of the
art warehouse! Student loans are available! Call now!"

Old May 30th 05, 05:11 PM
Ruel Smith

Lee Ayrton wrote:

> According to the US Department of Labor, median income for automotive
> mechanics is about $36,000US, with the middle 50% earning between
> $10.61US and $19.84US an hour. See:
> <URL:http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm>
>
> Those interested can go to <http://www.salary.com> and plug in their own
> zip code to see what the median income in their area is. (That part is
> free but the site looks like it charges for some info.)
>
> The $20/hr plus flat rate to start sounds like an ad from a diploma
> mill: "You too can be a highly-paid automotive technician by signing on
> now with the Dinkelacker School of Cosmetology, Radio Broadcasting,
> Culinary Arts and Auto Repair. Work on actual cars in our state of the
> art warehouse! Student loans are available! Call now!"

And is this based on guys working in a gas station too? I'm telling you that
I worked as a car salesman at a Pontiac/GMC dealership (now Buick too)
around 1997 to 2000 and I personally knew mechanics that were making $17/hr
flat rate back then, and I know their rate has gone up since then. Now, not
every week, but there were quite a few of them, these mechanics would turn
in excess of 70 book hrs. and many times near 80. What I did, and I stated
so in a followup post, was assume these figures were constant, which of
course they aren't as mechanics vary their turned-in hours each week, and
I'm pretty sure that these same mechanics are making at least $20/hr on
flat rate with adjustments to their rate since 8 years have gone by (they
made that rate in 1997). I have idealized the math, assuming the most hours
on a weekly basis. Now, simple math gave me that figure.

Reality is that you have to be a veteran mechanic with all the proper
certifications (there are even manufacturer certifications such as GM
requires only Duramax certified mechanics to work on Duramax equipped
trucks) working in a dealership, and not some BP Procare station or hole in
the wall shop to make that kind of hourly rate. It is not uncommon for such
a mechanic to make in excess of $20/hr. flat rate in a dealership. I know
this to be true because I personally knew several of the mechanics in the
dealership very well. Also, as hours output during the week vary, and not
just based on the mechanic's ability, but other variables such as service
department traffic, they won't be turning those hours each week. There may
even be some weeks when they work 40 hrs. and only turn in 40 hrs.. So
chances are they'll never see the idealized $80 grand a year. Mechanics pay
is based on output, and not hrs. worked, and is what the flat rate system
is all about.

These mechanics usually have $25,000 in tools and a $10,000 toolbox to put
them in. If they only made $36,000 a year like your information suggests, I
seriously doubt they'd be spending as much buying premium tools like Mac,
Matco, and Snap-On.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 30th 05, 05:56 PM
Mike Romain

Ruel Smith wrote:

> If you don't like the posts, anyhow, don't read them. Simple enough.
>
> --

I logged on this morning and only found 'one' Jeep post, the rest was
all bull****!

This group does have a formal Charter. If you don't like it don't
read/post here, simple enough eh. Otherwise the BS will take over the
group.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announc...rs.jeep+willys

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 30th 05, 05:58 PM
Mike Romain

Gents, this group does have a formal Charter, how about dropping all the
bull**** and get back to posting about Jeeps?

The Charter is located he

Old May 30th 05, 06:34 PM
Ruel Smith

Mike Romain wrote:

> Ruel Smith wrote:
>>
>> If you don't like the posts, anyhow, don't read them. Simple enough.
>>
>> --

> I logged on this morning and only found 'one' Jeep post, the rest was
> all bull****!
>
> This group does have a formal Charter. If you don't like it don't
> read/post here, simple enough eh. Otherwise the BS will take over the
> group.

Tell that to the person that started the crap. I only responded.

You don't think defending American made vehicles has anything to do with
Jeep? Are you completely stupid?

Sure, there have been some side issues in this thread, but I only responded
and voice my opinion. Sorry if you don't like it.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 30th 05, 06:36 PM
Ruel Smith

Mike Romain wrote:

> This group does have a formal Charter.Â*Â*IfÂ*youÂ*don'tÂ*likeÂ*itÂ*don't
> read/post here, simple enough eh.Â*Â*OtherwiseÂ*theÂ*BSÂ*willÂ*takeÂ*overÂ*the
> group.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announc...rs.jeep+willys

Did you promote yourself to newsgroup police, or something?

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 30th 05, 06:45 PM
Mike Romain

Ruel Smith wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
>
> > This group does have a formal Charter.  If you don't like it don't
> > read/post here, simple enough eh.  Otherwise the BS will take over the
> > group.
> >

> ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announc...rs.jeep+willys
>
> Did you promote yourself to newsgroup police, or something?
>
> --

Just a regular poster who tries along with a few others to keep this one
group on topic so the political and off topic and commercial SPAM
assholes don't up and take it over.

It hasn't been a loosing battle over the years, but there are always a
few jerks.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's