bent chassis

Old December 20th 04, 03:45 AM
Jim S.

Default bent chassis

I recently hit some ice, slid off the road and hit a rock. The chassis is
damaged under the passenger side door hinge mount. The passenger door
doesn't close properly. The door comes to rest about 2 centimeters off the
body at the front, it is against the roof and the back is bent inward. This
is the only observable damage. The door itself is fine, it's just in a wacky
position. However, at more than 15 mph, the car requires a lot of driver
input to stay in a lane.

I am looking at two options. I could take it to a shop to get straightened
out. My concern with this is that it will be rather costly and that the car
will never track properly. My second option is to get a 4 cylinder car and
just move my drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc. over to that car. I am
rather happy with, and have a lot of money invested in my current setup.
There just happens to be a '92 four cylinder with a descent body for sale
for $500 near me. The only problem with this option is that, unless I cut
out my Capri's rear fenders and weld them on the new car, I won't have a
Capri anymore.

Advice anyone?

Jim S.
'82 Mutant

Old December 20th 04, 04:19 AM
John Smith

Get it straightened.

Old December 20th 04, 02:29 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Depends on the condition of the car, otherwise... if there's little or no
rust, shop around for a good straightener.

They CAN get the car lined up better than SOME came off the line.

But if there's a lot of rust or other damage, sell the parts.
I wouldnt go to the trouble of swapping a bunch of 82 drivetrain and trim
into a 92... It wouldnt be a Capri anymore even IF the rear sheet metal was
the same...the real intrinsic value would be lost anyway.

Believe me, I've done a lot of swap-ins and swap-outs ..and that's too much
work for the satisfaction later

Old December 20th 04, 06:17 PM
Mark

True, part the car out and get something a little more modern.

Old December 20th 04, 07:22 PM
Jim S.

The car is perfect other than the damage I mentioned. I spent 2 years
restoring and customizing the car. There is no rust.
Aside from the body panels, nothing, not a fuel or brake line in the car is
of '82 vintage. I have a built 93 5.0. a well built AOD, rear-end is 95 GT
disc, 98 Cobra front brakes and lots more.

The parts that are on it and the Capri look are the valuable things to me.

I guess I just need to decide how much the Capri look is worth to me.

Old December 21st 04, 01:29 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Jim S. opined in :

> The car is perfect other than the damage I mentioned. I spent 2 years
> restoring and customizing the car. There is no rust.
> Aside from the body panels, nothing, not a fuel or brake line in the car
> is of '82 vintage. I have a built 93 5.0. a well built AOD, rear-end is
> 95 GT disc, 98 Cobra front brakes and lots more.
>
> The parts that are on it and the Capri look are the valuable things to
> me.
>
> I guess I just need to decide how much the Capri look is worth to me.

Then you just answered your own question... get it straightened

The CHASSIS is a Capri... If you weld the sheet metal onto a Mustang, the
chassis is still a Mustang.

Old December 29th 04, 11:47 PM
Brent P

In article >, Backyard Mechanic wrote:

>> I guess I just need to decide how much the Capri look is worth to me.

> Then you just answered your own question... get it straightened
>
> The CHASSIS is a Capri... If you weld the sheet metal onto a Mustang, the
> chassis is still a Mustang.

And if one is going to cut and weld, wouldn't it be easier just to weld
and/or bolt in donor bits under the car to replace what's bent?

Bent subframe in Audi TQ '86 cp Audi 8 January 3rd 05 08:22 PM
Unimog chassis & engine numbers .... marko vrkic 4x4 20 May 28th 04 07:59 AM
1953 - 1975 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CHASSIS and BODY PARTS CATALOG Tom Hall Antique cars 0 January 16th 04 12:46 AM
1953 - 1975 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CHASSIS and BODY PARTS CATALOG Tom Hall General 0 January 16th 04 12:46 AM