installing an ac compressor

Old August 29th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AWantz

Default installing an ac compressor

Ok have to install an ac compressor for a friend, is there anything
that I should be worried about? Also does anybody have any tips for the
job?

Old August 29th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 28 Aug 2006 20:00:45 -0700, "AWantz" > wrote:

>Ok have to install an ac compressor for a friend, is there anything
>that I should be worried about? Also does anybody have any tips for the
>job? <snip>

If you have to ask this, then you need to call the friend back and
tell him to take it to an AC shop. If you do not know the right base
stock/grade oil, which refrigerant, have a good vacuum pump and
service guage set, then you shouldn't be doing the job. I guarantee,
if you try this without the proper tools and knowledge, the system
will fail in short order, and take the "new" compressor with it.
Rebuilders are VERY careful about scrutinizing failed compressors on
warranty claims now. They can spot wrong oil, acetic oil, wrong or
mixed refrigerant, low charge, poor or non-existant vacuum
pulldown...you name it. If you want to keep this person as a friend,
refuse the job...period.

More new and rebuilt compressors are sold because of jobs like this
doen in driveways by unqualified people than any other single reason.
Old August 29th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
the MAGNATE

AWantz wrote:
> Ok have to install an ac compressor for a friend, is there anything
> that I should be worried about? Also does anybody have any tips for the
> job?

whatever you do, don't take the advice of new resident troll,
DESERTBOB- the guy doesn't even know his wrench sizes, and actually
drives an old rotted 1970's Honda car

Old August 29th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

Default Add to kill file list

Thanks to your reports to Google Groups,

has been banned by Google Groups from polluting Usenet anymore.
Old August 29th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Knifeblade_03[_26_]

I would be very hesitant to "backyard wrench" an A/C system. Evacuation
of refrigerant, purging, refilling, all use tools that must must also
be used correctly [usually beyond the average wrencher's experience and
domain].

Give a year, make, model, engine size, maybe I can find a link for ya
to r & r the compressor, but I would really suggest take it to a shop.
The $$ spent would be well worth the savings in time, aggravation,
needed tools, and risk of personal harm.

Not to mention, screwing things up. At least your friend would have
recourse with a shop to get it done right, with you, you could end up
in front of Judge Judy. :wink:

Tell your friend to open his/her wallet and get it done by a shop.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 30th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"AWantz" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Ok have to install an ac compressor for a friend, is there anything
> that I should be worried about? Also does anybody have any tips for the
> job?

I completely agree with Desert Bob's advice. If you have to ask this
question on Usenet, that's a sign you should just stop.