2001 Intrepid Engine or Sensor Problem??

Old November 30th 04, 04:55 AM
AltAgent

Default 2001 Intrepid Engine or Sensor Problem??

Same problem here. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the
problem. Something is heating up. My first impression was the catalytic
converter overheating and clogging. The car runs fine after about a half
hour of sitting on the side of the highway. It is only a highway
condition. I'm pretty ****ed off at this point. I drove it to Lake Tahoe
from San Francisco and sat for about 2 hours total after 5 incidents there
and back. I have the 3.2 engine in a 99 intrepid ES. My check light
comes on and the stored code at the dealer was a misfire in cylinder
number 2. Also the O2 sensors are not right in the diagnostics but the
tech said it's probably because of the initial problem. One tech said it
could be a bad coil pack. These engines have 1 coil per cylinder and no
spark plug wires. I ordered the coil pack for 50.00 and I'm going to
install it on Tuesday. If you'd like to email me or call me, my email
address is

Old November 30th 04, 09:43 PM
maxpower

One coil will not cause the vehicle to shut down, it will cause a misfire,
if that occurs it will cause the convertor to heat up due to the raw gas
going down the exhaust, it wont cause any kind of clogging of the
convertor""""""Also the O2 sensors are not right in the diagnostics but the
> tech said it's probably because of the initial problem. """""" dont

understand what this means?? what isnt right about them, is he used to
seeing 0-1 volt?? he wont see that anymore, he may be seeing 5 volts which
is normal. Intermittent problems are sometimes hard to diagnois, the dealer
has a tool called the co-pilot that they can install on the vehicle and when
the problem occurs, you push a button and it snaps a picture of what was
happening at the time. a very usefull tool if someone knows how to read it,
if they cant read the data, they can send it off to Chrysler for assistance
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 30th 04, 09:43 PM
maxpower

One coil will not cause the vehicle to shut down, it will cause a misfire,
if that occurs it will cause the convertor to heat up due to the raw gas
going down the exhaust, it wont cause any kind of clogging of the
convertor""""""Also the O2 sensors are not right in the diagnostics but the
> tech said it's probably because of the initial problem. """""" dont

understand what this means?? what isnt right about them, is he used to
seeing 0-1 volt?? he wont see that anymore, he may be seeing 5 volts which
is normal. Intermittent problems are sometimes hard to diagnois, the dealer
has a tool called the co-pilot that they can install on the vehicle and when
the problem occurs, you push a button and it snaps a picture of what was
happening at the time. a very usefull tool if someone knows how to read it,
if they cant read the data, they can send it off to Chrysler for assistance
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 1st 04, 05:30 AM
AltAgent

I just bought the new coil and I'm going to replace it and see what
happens. I'm pretty peeved that a perfectly running car is suddenly
unreliable. I'm a lifelong mopar fan but I think I'm going Toyota. I
have an 85 635csi BMW with 240,000 miles on it and it still flies. The
3.2 and the 2.7 dodge engines are lemons and for the dealer to not own up
to the fact that the oil returns are too small and the engine creates
sludge and blows up prematurely is not acceptable. I smell class action
lawsuit. From looking on the message boards online, i see about 50 or more
complaints of the same symptoms and the Dealers are playing dumb.......

Old December 20th 04, 05:05 AM
AltAgent

Well, after a new coil pack, new plugs, a new cam sensor and a new crank
sensor, about 300.00 in parts, the problem is still here. Now what?

Old December 20th 04, 05:05 AM
AltAgent