question cleaning tank

Old July 12th 03, 02:58 AM
levittd

Default question cleaning tank

"Tedd" wrote in message
i am going to do a thorough cleaning on my 20 gallon tiger barb species
tank. especially vacuuming out the gravel. the substrate is pretty heavily
loaded with _stuff_. what i would like to do is:

1.) remove a portion of the water to a five gallon bucket.
2.) transfer the barbs to the bucket.
3.) shut off and remove the HOT filter and clean.
4.) remove the plastic plants and rinse.
5.) vacuum the hell outta the gravel.

this last one would require siphoning out around 60% of the water. is this
advisable?

6.) refill tank to within 5 gallons, replace filter and start it up to

clean
some of the floating debre out of the water while the rest settles back to
the bottom.
7.) reintroduce fish and water from 5 gallon bucket.

This is pretty much what I do to my 50gal every couple of months (and
smaller wc's more frequently). I have never had a problem other than a
Silver Dollar injuring himself during a little hissyfit he threw when he
found himself in a 20gal Rubbermaid (he healed very quickly without
treatment). The water rarely clouds afterwards, and if it does it clears up
quickly. I usually clean the filter a day or two later though, because with
that large of a water change I prefer not to mess with the filter bacteria
too much. I just set up the rubbermaid (5 gal bucket in your case) like it
was the tank itself - filter and heater running on it. I tried putting the
lights over it too (wouldn't want to interrupt their "day") but they seem
less stressed if I leave it dark. I've never lost a fish during/immediately
after this process.

levittd

Old July 14th 03, 03:43 PM
~Vicki ~

How often do you do water changes? I ask this because if you don't do
them often you could have "old tank syndrome" and a large water change
could kill them. Start off with a small water change this week and
gradually increase the amount of water changed to acclimate the fish.

Vicki