Questions on 30,000 mile service

Old January 31st 05, 06:06 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Yep, I suppose the ECM is flashed to misfire at 30k just to remind you to
change the plugs.

Old January 31st 05, 06:12 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

No decrease in gas mileage, and yes, I will change them soon. If you want, I
can fly you up here and you can change them for me...it's been unseasonably
warm here last few days...today we nearly got up to 30F. Thursday it was 6F.
:-)

Old January 31st 05, 06:15 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I would, but I feel a need to go to the beach tomorrow:
http://www.camzone.com/index.php?cam=delmar It's my turn to do leg
inspections.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 31st 05, 03:47 PM
Jim Y.

I felt mine misfire. It's like riding a bucking bronco. :-) At first I
thought the torque converter was on steroids because it would only occur
during overdrive at minimum speed, like 45-50 mph going up a freeway
entrance ramp.

It was a TSB item over a year ago.. fixed now.... hmmm... on second
thought I will have the plugs changed at 30,000 miles. I had carbon
build-up from short drives to work in cold weather.

0900303 - 4.0L MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
Date: 08/01/03
Model Year(s): 1999-2004
4.0L ENGINE. This bulletin involves inspection of all engine exhaust
valves and a decarbonizing procedure if necessary.

Details: The customer may experience an incident of engine misfire
during certain vehicle operating conditions. The misfire may occur when
the vehicle is operated between 50 - 70 MPH and under light loading
conditions, e.g. slight uphill road grades. This condition may occur at
all ambient conditions, but is more noticeable when ambient conditions
are less than 0 C (32 F).

If the vehicle is equipped with On-Board Diagnostic (OBD), a MIL
illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC’s
may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in “Limp-In” mode.
The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves
that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the
result of no valve rotation and associated build up of carbon on the
exhaust valve stem.
This condition may occur when the engine is not allowed to run at engine
RPM’s that are greater than 3,200 RPM. At 3,200 RPM or higher the engine
exhaust valves will rotate if not impeded by high carbon deposits. Low
engine RPM’s and high carbon deposits are associated with short trip
driving where the vehicle engine is not allowed to fully warm to normal
engine operating temperatures. Cold ambient temperatures will increase
engine warm-up time and add to the opportunity of carbon deposit
build-up on the stem of the engine exhaust valve.

Old January 31st 05, 06:38 PM

I hate to kick a sleeping dog and start a war here, but does pour-in
injector treatment do any good? Seems like a lot of people say it's
worthless.

Matt