1987 Nissan Stanza (oil leak)

Old July 23rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gilmoreguy

Default 1987 Nissan Stanza (oil leak)

Just purchased a 1987 Nissan Stanza, 4 cylinder. It's in amazingly
good condition inside and out. I've only owned the car for a week. On
two occasions I've noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor
after parking the car for the night. I'm only using the car to get to
and from work which is a round trip of 26 miles. I don't know where to
look first. I obviously don't want to put a bunch of money into fixing
the car and would be okay with a small oil drip if it doesn't lead to
big problems down the line. Please advise if you can.

Old July 23rd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"gilmoreguy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just purchased a 1987 Nissan Stanza, 4 cylinder. It's in amazingly
> good condition inside and out. I've only owned the car for a week. On
> two occasions I've noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor
> after parking the car for the night. I'm only using the car to get to
> and from work which is a round trip of 26 miles. I don't know where to
> look first. I obviously don't want to put a bunch of money into fixing
> the car and would be okay with a small oil drip if it doesn't lead to
> big problems down the line. Please advise if you can.

Seems like the obvious thing to do would be to get under the car (preferably
on a lift) and look for the source of the leak. Depending on what is
leaking, you might want to have it fixed to avoid other problems.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 23rd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

gilmoreguy wrote:
> Just purchased a 1987 Nissan Stanza, 4 cylinder. It's in amazingly
> good condition inside and out. I've only owned the car for a week. On
> two occasions I've noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor
> after parking the car for the night. I'm only using the car to get to
> and from work which is a round trip of 26 miles. I don't know where to
> look first. I obviously don't want to put a bunch of money into fixing
> the car and would be okay with a small oil drip if it doesn't lead to
> big problems down the line. Please advise if you can.

As of now you have no information and nobody can assist you. Have it
checked or jack up the vehicle and look for yourself. It could be as
simple as a leaky pan gasket or even a loose oil filter or a recently
changed filter. You just don't know. If it's something more major like
a front or rear seal on the engine, then you might prefer to live with
it. Come to think of it, you don't even know whether it's oil from the
engine or transmission. Knowledge is power. Right now, you are
powerless.