What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old March 29th 05, 08:20 PM
N8N

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> >> "N8N" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

> > drivers?

making a

> > down

> > adjust

a-hole.

way),
> > so

off.

the

> > that
> >>
> >> I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone

legally
> > and
> >> during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over

the
> > speed
> >> limit, if you want to pass me then you'll just have to wait until

I'm
> > done
> >> and move over. You don't like it, rear-end my car. I could use

the
> > money.
> >> Lead-foot bullies aren't worth my sweat.

> > That's not what we're talking about at all, what we're talking

about is
> > Bill's admitted practice of being in the right lane, seeing the

faster
> > driver approaching, and pulling out to pass anyway.

> If Bill can complete the pass without impeding the

approaching-from-behind
> driver's speed and progress, where's the problem?

If you go back and read Bill's post, he is expecting the other
driver(s) to "slow down or change lanes" (his words, not mine) to
accomodate him, even when he's the one who's caused them to do so by
changing lanes, so apparently he doesn't always complete his passes
without impeding, etc. It is clear from his tone that he doesn't feel
that he's committed any breach of driving etiquette either; he's been
rather defensive of his driving.

> Although if you
> > end up in the scenario you describe above a lot, you might want to
> > check your mirrors a little more often.

> I don't and I always do, respectively.

Well then, I'm not really sure what we're arguing about

nate

Old March 29th 05, 09:39 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

> If you go back and read Bill's post, he is expecting the other
> driver(s) to "slow down or change lanes" (his words, not mine) to
> accomodate him, even when he's the one who's caused them to do so by
> changing lanes, so apparently he doesn't always complete his passes
> without impeding, etc. It is clear from his tone that he doesn't feel
> that he's committed any breach of driving etiquette either; he's been
> rather defensive of his driving.

I hear you. Deliberately impeding another car is a horse of a different
color.

>> Although if you
>> > end up in the scenario you describe above a lot, you might want to
>> > check your mirrors a little more often.

>> I don't and I always do, respectively.

> Well then, I'm not really sure what we're arguing about

Please don't tell me we're being respectful of each other's viewpoints--I
have a reputation to uphold!

Old March 29th 05, 09:51 PM
Harry K

Well Jim. If you can propose a scenario in which I can STKR "WHILE
PASSING", I will continue this. And yes I am very familiar with cites.
The one on the positive end is the one who has to provide the cite.
It is impossible to find a cite to prove a negative. So all you have
to do is come up with a cite that says STKR "while passing". Good luck
with that.

Enough of this back and forth over an issue in which anyone who
understands English knows both sides are being juvenile.

Again in case you missed my driving style (you can go way back and see
it). I drive not to impede traffic, do not cut people off, always
check mirrors. The only time I will (and it has only been a handful of
times in 50 years) is if there is someone 'way back, really cooking'.
By 'way back' I mean over a 1/4 mile. In that case I will be almost
all the way past by the time they catch up. They can let up a bit
until I complete it, I am not going to speed up.

I still maintain that you are as much as a MFFY as the guy ahead of you
if you expect him to get out of your way. Both sides are morally
incorrect.

Harry K

Old March 29th 05, 11:34 PM
DYM

Nate Nagel > wrote in
<Snip>

>>>Any action that requires you to yield to other traffic before

making
>>>a maneuver fits the criteria of a maneuver you should not undertake
>>>unless it will not affect the speed and direction of other traffic
>>>that could possibly interact with you. This does not apply to
>>>traffic behind you in the same lane that have to slow down if you
>>>yourself are yielding.

This attitude should be part of everyones driving. And it applies to
more than just "lane displine". It controls how you proceed through an
intersection. Do you wait patiently for your turn, or do you push out
into the traffic with a game of chicken.

>> So you're saying that I should extend courtesy to other drivers?
>> If so, prepare yourself! That's heresy!

You won't get it unless you give it first.

>> If, OTOH, you're saying that if I have to yield before making a
>> maneuver that *MIGHT* affect other drivers, making them slow down

or
>> change lanes (the HORROR!), I should forego the maneuver?

> That's exactly correct.
>
>> Get real. It's called *TRAFFIC*, and other drivers have to adjust

>> it every time they drive.
>>

> That doesn't mean you should deliberately drive like an a-hole.
>
> nate

DYM
Old March 29th 05, 11:59 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Well Jim. If you can propose a scenario in which I can STKR "WHILE
> PASSING", I will continue this. And yes I am very familiar with cites.
> The one on the positive end is the one who has to provide the cite.
> It is impossible to find a cite to prove a negative. So all you have
> to do is come up with a cite that says STKR "while passing". Good luck
> with that.

No,YOU made the claim that STKR does not apply if passing.
YOU have to back it up and you can't.

The ENTIRE concept of STKR is that one does not impede faster traffic.
If you are passing and blocking a faster car,then you ARE LLBing.

> Enough of this back and forth over an issue in which anyone who
> understands English knows both sides are being juvenile.
>
> Again in case you missed my driving style (you can go way back and see
> it). I drive not to impede traffic, do not cut people off, always
> check mirrors. The only time I will (and it has only been a handful of
> times in 50 years) is if there is someone 'way back, really cooking'.
> By 'way back' I mean over a 1/4 mile. In that case I will be almost
> all the way past by the time they catch up. They can let up a bit
> until I complete it, I am not going to speed up.

Yep,MFFY.Blocking faster traffic,against STKR,you're in the wrong,yet you
will not compensate for it.

> I still maintain that you are as much as a MFFY as the guy ahead of you
> if you expect him to get out of your way. Both sides are morally
> incorrect.

No,they are not.The faster vehicle has the STKR rule,while you would be
LLBing.(and MFFYing)

You are wrong,ESPECIALLY in the moral sense.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 30th 05, 12:03 AM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
. net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> It does require one be aware of approaching traffic in regards to
>> their own
>> rate of passing or overtaking of a car they intend to pass.
>> Driving skills,IOW.
>>
>> If "sloth" or micro-passing is hindering,at what rate would passing
>> NOT be LLBing? The answer is the rate that one not hinders faster
>> traffic. (thus not blocking the passing lane;the entire CONCEPT of
>> "slower traffic keep right".)
>>
>> "Slower traffic keep right" implicitly implies(is that proper
>> English,or redundant?) that one NOT hinder faster traffic.Whether one
>> is in the act of
>> passing or not.

> Perhaps we're arguing different points? If I used your logic, Jim,
> then no one could ever use the passing lane.

Patently UNTRUE.
One could speed up.One could wait until faster traffic has passed.
Not all traffic is faster than you,I hope.
If so,then you do not need to pass anyone.

> Even if a car was at 90
> mph, it would be blocking another car doing 100 mph regardless of how
> far behind the second car was following.
>
> I do agree with the premise (was it yours or Arif's?) that if a pass
> can be completed without forcing an approaching car to slow down, that
> would be the best scenario. But if a driver is exceeding the speed
> limit by a significant margin like +25 mph then s/he needs to expect
> to be hindered at some point. Either by another car or a LEO.

Only because SOME people will not STKR.(and want to act as LEOs)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 30th 05, 12:05 AM
Jim Yanik

Big Bill > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:02:53 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
>>> So you're saying that I should extend courtesy to other drivers?
>>> If so, prepare yourself! That's heresy!
>>> If, OTOH, you're saying that if I have to yield before making a
>>> maneuver that *MIGHT* affect other drivers, making them slow down or
>>> change lanes (the HORROR!), I should forego the maneuver?

>>That's exactly correct.
>>
>>> Get real. It's called *TRAFFIC*, and other drivers have to adjust to
>>> it every time they drive.
>>>

>>That doesn't mean you should deliberately drive like an a-hole.
>>
>>nate

> So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way), so
> you can have a slightly easier drive?

Hyperbole.

> Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?

If waiting until faster traffic has passed any more of a strain?

> Are you rteally that important?
> Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.

No,they're just driving clueless.
Can't follow something simple as STKR.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 30th 05, 12:07 AM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
.net:

> "N8N" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Big Bill wrote:

>> or

>>> So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way),
>>> so you can have a slightly easier drive?
>>> Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?
>>> Are you rteally that important?
>>> Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.
>>>

>> Why would you have to go miles out of your way? Just step on the
>> little skinny pedal on the right when passing. It's really not that
>> hard. And no, not everyone is driving to **** me off, just some
>> people, like you.

> I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone legally
> and during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over
> the speed limit, if you want to pass me then you'll just have to wait
> until I'm done and move over. You don't like it, rear-end my car. I
> could use the money. Lead-foot bullies aren't worth my sweat.

Ah,the manly challenge from a LLBer;"I'm here,I'm blocking you,and there's
nothing you can do about it".= ME First,F-You.

A wanna-be cop.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 30th 05, 02:56 AM
Harry K

Well since I admitted that I am a MFFYer in rare cases -way- back up
thread, what are you bitching about??

I forgot to add to my previous post. Yes I explained the situation
exactly as I said. And yes, the response was exactly that, 'the guy is
a moron'. Their words not mine and I know that you aren't but your
insistance on that point is moronic.

Harry K

Old March 30th 05, 03:23 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
> . net:

If I used your logic, Jim,
>> then no one could ever use the passing lane.

> Patently UNTRUE.
> One could speed up.One could wait until faster traffic has passed.
> Not all traffic is faster than you,I hope.
> If so,then you do not need to pass anyone.

This may be the first example of YFFM!