What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old March 21st 05, 12:51 AM
Old Wolf

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Bill 2" wrote:
>> "Jim Yanik" wrote:
>>
>>> SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT,including you.
>>> If you are in the passing lane and someone is approaching you
>>> in that lane,then YOU are the *slower traffic*. Get it?

>> But if you're passing a car going slower than you, who's correct?

> Once again,just because you are passing an even slower car does
> not mean it's OK to make a faster car slow because you have not
> completed your pass. It's rude and inconsiderate.

A more realistic situation: suppose you would like to go 90MPH.
But you are stuck behind a LLB. Another 90MPH driver comes up
behind you.

This means that you are in the passing lane and you are the
slower traffic to the guy behind. Should you pull out of the
left lane?

Surely the answer is 'no'. If you did pull out, then you
re-enter the left lane at a later point in time, you will
again come up behind the other 90MPH driver who is still
behind the LLB. So you would be continually switching places
with him (assuming he follows your recommendation too)
until the LLB moves. This is ridiculous.

Old March 21st 05, 12:57 AM
Old Wolf

Bill 2 wrote:
> I agree with you. Let's assume there are more cars passing
> the pack of slow cars. At the same time the 90mph car merges
> onto the highway and accelerates up to 90mph (so the cars in
> the left lane have no idea of his intentions). By now the car
> in the lead of the left lane (who is not blocking anyone else
> in the left lane because they all want to travel 80mph) doesn't
> know there is a car 5 cars behind him that wants to go 90MPH
> (unless you have ESP and know what everyone within a 1 mile
> radius of you wants to do). The guy that wants to go 90MPH
> should realize that traffic conditions at that moment aren't
> conductive to going 90MPH and wait for those cars to finish
> their pass before speeding up.

In an ideal world, the rear driver would signal that he wishes
to go faster, the 2nd-to-rear would see this signal and re-
transmit it to the 3rd-to-rear driver, etc., until the LLB
sees it and moves over. (As with the two-car case, the signal
could take the form of flashed lights, honking, or tailgating).

But in reality this is not going to happen. The 2nd-to-front
driver would already have signalled the LLB if he cared enough.
So the only rational decision you have left is to stay in
the left lane (at a safe following distance). I don't think
it gains anything to "be noble" and try to prevent the clump
forming by driving in a slower lane. The clump will form
anyway and you will be even further back. The only fix is
for the LLB to move.

Old March 21st 05, 01:42 AM
Harry K

L Sternn wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2005 06:53:32 -0800, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
> >Try replying to what I actually wrote instead of something I never

said
> >or even implied.

> Heh did - what part of "slower traffic keep right" are you havnig
> trouble with?

What part of "actively passing" do you have a problem with??

Harry K

Old March 21st 05, 01:49 AM
Harry K

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Harry K" > wrote in
> ps.com:
>

> > John F. Carr wrote:

behind

> >> In Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Nevada, Utah, and Virginia

drivers
> > in
> >> the left lane are required to move right to allow faster traffic

> >> pass. Only Georgia limits this law to vehicles traveling within

the
> >> speed limit. This duty is in addition to the "slower traffic keep
> >> right" rule in most of these states.
> >>
> >> See http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html for details.
> >>
> >> Even though honking or flashing to pass is no longer customary,

the
> >> law in many states still requires the lead driver to recognize the
> >> signal and facilitate passing on roads where passing on the right
> >> is not permitted.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Carr )

> > True, IF the lead is just cruising. As long as the lead is

actively
> > (not sloth) passing, he doesn't need to do anything. Granted it

would
> > be nice to speed up but not required. My imposition on you by

makeing
> > you slow down for a few seconds is no worse than your imposition on

me
> > by trying to force me to speed up. Note that I am discussing a

passer
> > who is passing at a -reasonable- rate. If I am passing a 70 mpher

at
> > 80 that is it, I ain't going to speed up.
> >
> > Harry K
> >

> Then you have become a LLB.
>
> SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT,including you.
> If you are in the passing lane and someone is approaching you in that

> lane,then YOU are the *slower traffic*. Get it? (I doubt it)
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

Yes, I get it. Before pulling out I check mirrors, nobody approaching
rapidly, I pass at a good rate, someone closing in I wait. I pull out
and someone really cooking comes up that was way back when I
checked...tough, you're going to have to slow down until I get
clearance to pull over. It might be a shock but the first person in a
lane has the legal (not moral I agree) right of way. Again, I am
speaking of actively passing at a decent rate, not sloth passing, not
staying in the lane longer than necessary and not cutting off people
approaching.

Harry K

Old March 21st 05, 04:18 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> I've taken a few corners at 45...

Couple years ago, I was at the neighborhood market when a chap pulls in with
his hours-old Audi Quattro convertible. Kind of odd-looking but looked like
a lot of fun to drive. I chatted him up for a few minutes and he handed me
the keys; saying "Let's go for a spin!" I refused, but he insisted.

That car hugged the road like a teenager on their first make-out session!
He kept telling me to take a street corner turn at 40 mph, which I'm not
used to doing in my SUV, but I did take one at 30. The car hardly yawed a
bit.

I wouldn't mind doing that again...

Old March 21st 05, 04:46 PM
Cartlon Shew

On 20 Mar 2005 17:42:05 -0800, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>L Sternn wrote:
>> On 20 Mar 2005 06:53:32 -0800, "Harry K" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Try replying to what I actually wrote instead of something I never

>said
>> >or even implied.

>> Heh did - what part of "slower traffic keep right" are you havnig
>> trouble with?

>What part of "actively passing" do you have a problem with??

The law doesn't say "actively passing" - it says "slower traffic keep
right."

What part of that do you fail to understand?

Old March 21st 05, 04:54 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:58:41 -0700, L Sternn > wrote:
>
>>>I'm on street 1 (45MPH) and want to turn right onto street 2. I would have
>>>to slow down on street 1, which would cause the traffic behind me on street
>>>1 to have to slow down. Therefore should I make the turn at 45? (This
>>>assumes there is no passing lane for the through traffic to pass on)

>>I don't see how that's any clearer, but that's okay 'cuz it was
>>perfectly clear the first time.
>>
>>I'd love to see people try it at 45, but only for entertainment value.

>I've taken a few corners at 45...

It was 3:30 AM with no traffic and I had a green light so I
didn't bother slowing down where Mass. Route 2 turns left at
the Lincoln-Concord line. A minute later a Concord police
officer was exclaiming to me "you took that turn at 55!"
(No ticket -- I was sober.) But that turn is only 60 degrees,
not 90.

--
John Carr )
Old March 21st 05, 05:04 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
ups.com:

> L Sternn wrote:
>> On 20 Mar 2005 06:53:32 -0800, "Harry K" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Try replying to what I actually wrote instead of something I never

> said
>> >or even implied.

>> Heh did - what part of "slower traffic keep right" are you havnig
>> trouble with?

> What part of "actively passing" do you have a problem with??
>
> Harry K

"actively passing" by itself is not an exemption from "slower traffic keep
right".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 21st 05, 05:08 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>> "Harry K" > wrote in
>> ps.com:

> behind

> drivers
>> > in

> the

> the

>> > True, IF the lead is just cruising. As long as the lead is

> actively
>> > (not sloth) passing, he doesn't need to do anything. Granted it

> would
>> > be nice to speed up but not required. My imposition on you by

> makeing
>> > you slow down for a few seconds is no worse than your imposition on

> me
>> > by trying to force me to speed up. Note that I am discussing a

> passer
>> > who is passing at a -reasonable- rate. If I am passing a 70 mpher

> at
>> > 80 that is it, I ain't going to speed up.
>> >
>> > Harry K
>> >

>> Then you have become a LLB.
>>
>> SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT,including you.
>> If you are in the passing lane and someone is approaching you in that

>> lane,then YOU are the *slower traffic*. Get it? (I doubt it)
>>
>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik
>> at
>> kua.net

> Yes, I get it. Before pulling out I check mirrors, nobody approaching
> rapidly, I pass at a good rate, someone closing in I wait. I pull out
> and someone really cooking comes up that was way back when I
> checked...tough, you're going to have to slow down until I get
> clearance to pull over. It might be a shock but the first person in a
> lane has the legal (not moral I agree) right of way.

The typical MFFY response.

Again you forget about "slower traffic keep right".There's no exemption for
vehicles already passing.

> Again, I am
> speaking of actively passing at a decent rate, not sloth passing, not
> staying in the lane longer than necessary and not cutting off people
> approaching.
>
> Harry K

You would be sloth passing if you cause a faster car to brake and slow

Old March 21st 05, 06:04 PM
Big Bill

:

>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:44:26 GMT, Arif Khokar >
>> wrote:

>>>Should one drive in such a way as to not require others to adjust
>>>their speed or direction due to one's actions such as pulling out from
>>>a side road, merging, or changing lanes? If not, then why not?

>> It's impossible to drive that way, unless *everyone* is driving the
>> same spped, and *everyone* allows other drivers to change lanes
>> (meaning leaving enough room to do so).
>> IOW, that's never going to happen.
>> To give but one example, let's say you're driving in the right lane on
>> I-10, where it's 2 lanes each direction. You're coming upon another
>> vehicle, and want to pass it. You look in your mirror, and notice
>> another vehicle in the left lane, close enough that, if you pull out
>> to pass, that other vehicle will need to slow down unless you speed
>> up. This is a *very* common situation.
>> BAM!! One of you is a MFFY driver, because one of you is going to have
>> to adjust your speed. (Your definition; see above.)
>> Which one is it?
>>

>The guy already making his pass has priority,so YOU in the middle lane gets
>to slow until the passing lane is available.No cutting in front of the
>original passer and making them brake.That is rude and inconsiderate.
>
>Besides,the passer is already in the left lane,and you would cut in
>front;exactly MFFY behavior.He was there first.

In other words, sinced *I* must alter speed, the other passing driver
is a MFFY driver.
He *must* be, if the definition I quoted is right.
Or, that definition is wrong (which is my point).
So, which is it?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"