LaCrosse vs LaSabre

Old January 26th 05, 09:57 PM
HLS

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, HLS wrote:
>
> > Have you seen the LaCrosse, and if so what do you think about it?

> Yet another McRent-a-car from GM. Adequate but mediocre in virtually every
> category. And its name means "masturbation" in Quebec.

Consumer Reports is not an organization that I have very much faith in, to
be quite honest...
they have touted trash for years, with 'data' to support their position.

Some automotive magazines have tested various models for years and have
published frequency
of repair data, type of repair, percentage of dealer repairs deemed
satisfactorily completed, etc.

How a company and its affiliated dealerships deal with repairs can
defuse a multitude of issues. Some GM dealerships, particularly Buick and
Cadillac that I know of,
used to get really dark marks from GM if they did not handle the customers
issues well.

Maybe other dealerships and companies do the same. I know of a local Toyota
dealership that gets
rave reviews from its clients because
(1) the Toyotas seldom cause troubles, and
(2) the dealership doesnt let the occasional trouble escalate to a major
issue.

Whether Cadillac workers can put together a better car from GM parts than
Pontiac workers is an interesting
but unplumbed hypothesis.

The facts seem to be that the American companies have drastically lost home
market share, and clients
perceive some foreign cars to be better, more dependable, and certainly more
desirable than the domestic
offering.

Perception is a good as reality in many cases.

Old January 26th 05, 10:16 PM
HLS

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> Yet another McRent-a-car from GM. Adequate but mediocre in virtually every
> category. And its name means "masturbation" in Quebec.

Final post, I hope.

This site might be of some interest.
http://www.autooninfo.net/
The Canadian Automobile Club (caa.ca) also has some interesting opinions.

Pajero, in a South American dialect, means 'masturbater'. 'Murano'
depending on the pronounciation (marano) might be confused with
a 'hog'.

Some of these names are just catalysts for a thread of their own.

Old January 26th 05, 10:31 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Masospaghetti wrote:

> > Why, because Condemner Retards magazine *says* so, of course! Same as
> > they said the Toyota Tercel was _vastly_ more reliable than the Geo
> > Prizm, despite both cars being made of identical parts at the same
> > facility in California, and only the badging being different. They've
> > given vastly different ratings to identical-except-for-nameplates cars
> > on a fairly regular basis over the years. Just one more reason to
> > dismiss their self-proclaimed expertise.

> IIRC, the Prizm is identical to the Corolla, not the Tercel, and both
> scored well above average in reliability ratings.

Sorry, I meant "Corolla". And the rating difference was in a 4-way car
comparison "test".