Repair Estimate

Old November 21st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jason[_1_]

Default Repair Estimate

So I dropped my car off at the local shop to get some work done
yesterday. I knew it was riding rough and had some other pre-existing
problems so I asked them to check out the radiator. They come back to
me with a list of repairs and a big fat bill(no work done yet). So my
question is for the work they are doing are the prices reasonable and
also what work can I do myself?

So the total bill was $1600
Vehicle is a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4 door 138,000 miles
and according to Blue Book the trade in value is only $1640 and the
private sale value is $2790
This also raises the question is it worth that much to make the car
reliable again.

Repairs needed are as follows

repair leaking fan clutch
replace deteriorated fan blade
replace heater core and flush radiator system
replace power steering pump
front left brake caliper is freezing up(assume replacement)
replace ball joints
also rotate and align after replacing ball joints

I am on my way to pick up the car and get an itemized estimate. What I
have quoted was just from a telephone ceonverstaion.

Thanks,
Jason

Old November 21st 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dread

you can do all of it yourself depending on your time, tools and
knowledge/skill ..but its good to make sure you are fixing whats actually
wrong. price it out at auto parts store and get a second opinion. do which
you can afford to do let a shop do the rest. might come out cheaper for
you.
sales value ..if you own it and its done you ok y not fix it? it'll be worth
just that much more to you in the end.
oups.com...

Old November 21st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jason[_1_]

I actually did just what you suggested by pricing the parts at a local
store. The difference in parts alone was huge.

I actually misspoke earlier about the ball joints. It was actually the
wheel bearings. Even so the repair shop quoted me $860 for the parts
plus $840 for the labor. AutoZone was only $270 for the parts.

and I agree doing the work myself would be best I think.

Thanks for the help,
Jason

Old November 22nd 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Jason,

We do not know your skills, experience or what tools you have, so it's
impossible to tell how much of this list you can do yourself.
Unless you are experienced and confident (frankly, you don't sound like
that) I would strongly recommend to leave safety-related tasks (brakes,
suspension) to the pros.
The heater core job is unpleasant and time consuming, but not mechanically
challenging. I have heard of quotes in the $600-$1000 range for it (90% or
more of that in labor). So if you want to save money and have the time and
the guts, get your hands on the shop manual and do this one yourself.

oups.com...