my damn tranny

Old June 11th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default my damn tranny

the clutch and cylinder needs replacing. it's in the shop what should
i expect as a bill ? i have a 1993 explorer 2 door 2wd. i only paid
850 for it. i should probably buy a new one, but ive already put a new
starter in, new shocks, .... that car is a money munching machine.
uggghh

Old June 11th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

It's always been my mantra that if the cost of repairs and upkeep exceed the
value of the vehicle then it is time to get rid of it. This of course does
not pertain to classic and or antique vehicles. Slapping $1500 worth of
parts into a car only worth $500 does nothing to raise it's value. Its
still only worth $500. You just lost $1000. So for me it would be time to
get something better.

oups.com...

Old June 11th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

i agree mostly i was quoted $866 for the fix i hope it stays in that
limit, as i kind of like having a car i don't care much about like when
it gets wacked when parked which happens often where i live (crowded
urban area) already happened twice. i mean if you only pay 850 for it
you should expect to eventually pay more in fixing it, even a heavy
brake maintenance ends up being half that, and i am already in for some
other new parts and yes it will fall apart again i'm sure something
will bust. thiung is the repair is cheaper than a new car by a good
amount, and that doesn't include the hassle of getting rid of it and
getting paperwork done on such a transaction but i do agree with you
for the most part

Old June 12th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Agreed... I have many customers that accept some large repair bills in
stride..... Faced with large monthly payments, the occasional hefty repair
bill seems the attractive alternative to some.

What appears to be a rule of thumb in our area.... if mother nature hasn't
started the bio-degrading process too badly, a mechanical repair may well be
in order. If the car sheds pieces every time you cross the train
tracks.......

For the original poster..... while I may occasionally call a repair charge
usurious, I refuse to try to set another shops labour rate or parts charges.
I know our prices are higher than other shops.... I also know that you will
have to go a long, long way to find techs that care about our customers and
their cars the way we do.

Old June 12th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

to guy who has a math lesson yes 850 + a few expenses is still a good
deal. the body is in good shape a little rust, the engine is very
strong. whatever i couldve put down 3 grand and had the same ****
happen. now the car is shaping up and has better parts on it.
maintenance is maintenance this belies the fact that nobody has
answered the main question everyonbe is drib drabbing some bull****.
what a bunch of holier than thou arrogant assholes some of you are. i
figure 866 is ok so i paid 2500 instead and have maintenance free for a
year on my original purchase price do you like that math better ?
still a pretty good deal. why pay 9000 or 5000 for a new one when i
don't want to take a loan out or have my savings take that hit ? i am
a graduate student granted my mba in finance will get me nice cars
later but for now a 900 dollar fix for another year or even 1500 for
another year with other fixes is a fine investment. i'm not looking to
resell the dog, i'll drive it to the ground then donate the dog for a
tax break. some people really should answer the question that was
ASKED and leave their arrogant bull**** lecturing at the door. for the
rest thanks....

Old June 12th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

hell even if i do try and sell it i just looked up what they go for.
my car is just like this one except paint looks better on mine and mine
is only 2wd

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ng=&cardist=67

could still fix it sell it and end up green. preach on people! you'd
think some of these twerps are used car salesmen roflmao

Old June 12th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

my car retails for about $3,100 in my area it has the eddie bauer
package

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...801&da=-1&nx=1

i still got a good deal including all fixings i guess.

Old June 13th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"hedgerum" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> i agree mostly i was quoted $866 for the fix i hope it stays in that
> limit, as i kind of like having a car i don't care much about like when
> it gets wacked when parked which happens often where i live (crowded
> urban area) already happened twice. i mean if you only pay 850 for it
> you should expect to eventually pay more in fixing it, even a heavy
> brake maintenance ends up being half that, and i am already in for some
> other new parts and yes it will fall apart again i'm sure something
> will bust. thiung is the repair is cheaper than a new car by a good
> amount, and that doesn't include the hassle of getting rid of it and
> getting paperwork done on such a transaction but i do agree with you
> for the most part

Sometime's it's complicated. I have a '92 and when I added together all the
money I'd spent on a new/rebuilt auto trans and all of the other parts it
needed and averaged it out over 2 years it actually cost less to buy my wife
a new Nissan Frontier with a 4 year loan (per month costs, that is). Then
add the 9 mpg more the Nissan gets and it's a lot cheaper to drive. I still
have the '92 cause it will do something the Nissan won't: get to town when
the mud is 2 feet deep on the dirt roads. A new Explorer costs well over
$30K. I suppose the best choice for me would be to get a newer used one.

When it comes right down to it I really like the Explorer and don't like the
Frontier all that much. I guess that's worth something but hard to put in
$$$.

Old June 13th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"hedgerum" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> to guy who has a math lesson yes 850 + a few expenses is still a good
> deal. the body is in good shape a little rust, the engine is very
> strong. whatever i couldve put down 3 grand and had the same ****
> happen. now the car is shaping up and has better parts on it.
> maintenance is maintenance this belies the fact that nobody has
> answered the main question everyonbe is drib drabbing some bull****.
> what a bunch of holier than thou arrogant assholes some of you are. i
> figure 866 is ok so i paid 2500 instead and have maintenance free for a
> year on my original purchase price do you like that math better ?
> still a pretty good deal. why pay 9000 or 5000 for a new one when i
> don't want to take a loan out or have my savings take that hit ? i am
> a graduate student granted my mba in finance will get me nice cars
> later but for now a 900 dollar fix for another year or even 1500 for
> another year with other fixes is a fine investment. i'm not looking to
> resell the dog, i'll drive it to the ground then donate the dog for a
> tax break. some people really should answer the question that was
> ASKED and leave their arrogant bull**** lecturing at the door. for the
> rest thanks....

The *way* you asked the question sounded more to me (and apparently others)
like "is it worth fixing" rather than "how much should it cost to fix it."
I suspect your mechanic could tell you that.

Most of the discussions in this NG are based upon "how to fix it." If you
should have such a question in the future I suggest you change your nickname
because after that uncalled-for ranting probably nobody will answer you.