Can the 2002+ Exploder carry a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood?

Old August 15th 05, 03:28 AM
S.P.

Default Can the 2002+ Exploder carry a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood?

I do not mean totally internally... I mean with the rear hatch open. My `94
did it just fine, but without actually measuring, it looked to me like the
newer openings were narrower. In the `94 the panels rested on the wheel
wells, and I added several 2X4's in the center for support. If it is still
possible, did that change? Oh, yeah, I do not want to carry it on the roof.
Thanks.

Old August 15th 05, 03:49 AM
Incher

On 2005-08-14 21:28:39 -0500, "S.P." > said:

> I do not mean totally internally... I mean with the rear hatch open.
> My `94 did it just fine, but without actually measuring, it looked to
> me like the newer openings were narrower. In the `94 the panels rested
> on the wheel wells, and I added several 2X4's in the center for
> support. If it is still possible, did that change? Oh, yeah, I do not
> want to carry it on the roof. Thanks.

Although I've never tried it, I just grabbed my tape measure and went
and measured my '04 EB. It looks like 46 3/4" is the max if I would
raise it up over the "wheel wells". If, however, I would raise one
side a few inches more than the other so that the panels would sit on
an angle, 4 x 8s would be no particular problem for width.

Old August 15th 05, 05:48 AM
Jim Warman

Gonna be the wet blanket, again.... The vehicle should not be operated with
the rear hatch open. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and can
infiltrate the cabin easily. The occupants will not realize their condition
deteriorating (ask me all about CO poisoning.... twice, and neither time was
it pretty....). The choce is, quite obviously yours, but I feel I would be
remiss if I didn't mention the possible hazards...

HTH

news

Old August 16th 05, 04:02 AM
Bob

Dammit, Jim. How are we ever going to thin-out the population if you keep
posting these warnings? There's a (Darwinian) reason why CO is oderless. Let
nature take its course, please.

Bob

Old August 16th 05, 02:47 PM
Charlie Bress

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Gonna be the wet blanket, again.... The vehicle should not be operated
> with
> the rear hatch open. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and can
> infiltrate the cabin easily. The occupants will not realize their
> condition
> deteriorating (ask me all about CO poisoning.... twice, and neither time
> was
> it pretty....). The choce is, quite obviously yours, but I feel I would be
> remiss if I didn't mention the possible hazards...
>
> HTH

Jim, I was glad to see your response. Back in April I posted a warning about
driving with the tailgate open because of sucking in fumes and got a ration
of sh-t from those who said it wasn't a problem and that I couldn't prove
my point. I had read of a case of the kids in the back of a station wagon
arriving for vacation DOA. I recall that when I was driving wagons that
there were warnings in the owner's manual.

I have on occasion found that I was in a situation that had me driving with
the tailgate or rear window open. I was sure to open the front windows to be
sure that there was airflow from front and out the back.

Charlie

Old August 16th 05, 02:54 PM
S.P.

> I have on occasion found that I was in a situation that had me driving
> with the tailgate or rear window open. I was sure to open the front
> windows to be sure that there was airflow from front and out the back.

Not to minimize the danger, but when I carried the aforementioned plywood in
the past, I put the outside air vents on full speed pointing directly at my
face in addition to opening the front windows.

Old August 17th 05, 12:21 AM
Charlie Bress

"Mark" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:47:09 -0400, "Charlie Bress" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>>> Gonna be the wet blanket, again.... The vehicle should not be operated
>>> with
>>> the rear hatch open. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and can
>>> infiltrate the cabin easily. The occupants will not realize their
>>> condition
>>> deteriorating (ask me all about CO poisoning.... twice, and neither time
>>> was
>>> it pretty....). The choce is, quite obviously yours, but I feel I would
>>> be
>>> remiss if I didn't mention the possible hazards...
>>>
>>> HTH

>>Jim, I was glad to see your response. Back in April I posted a warning
>>about
>>driving with the tailgate open because of sucking in fumes and got a
>>ration
>>of sh-t from those who said it wasn't a problem and that I couldn't prove
>>my point.

> Well, are you saying it's a problem even if the other 4 windows (and maybe
> the sunroof) are open? I would disagree if that's what you mean.
> However,
> I can see your point if the other windows are up and just the liftgate is
> open.

You have to be sure that there is air flowing into the car and out the rear.
When all the windows as well as the tailgate, the car creates a slight
vacuum as it moves through the air.
That is the phenomenon that every racer takes advantage of by drafting. That
vacuum helps suck the car in back a little bit and makes it easier to keep
up and stay close. It is also the reason that tailgate windows get dirty
faster than the others. If only the tailgate is open, it can draw in exhaust
fumes. Air coming in from the front and out the back destroys that vacuum
and so exhaust fumes don't enter the cabin.

Charlie

Old September 10th 05, 05:53 AM
Jack

Charlie Bress wrote:

> I have on occasion found that I was in a situation that had me driving with
> the tailgate or rear window open. I was sure to open the front windows to be
> sure that there was airflow from front and out the back.

Air will be sucked forward with a window open. CLOSE the windows and use
max fan on vent or a/c.

The old style wind-wings would help a lot.

Jack