Virtual RC Racing

Old November 29th 04, 09:35 AM
J. Todd Wasson

Default Virtual RC Racing

Posted this earlier but it didn't show up. Sorry if it's a double post.

The sim Lothar Pantel, Tony West, and I have been working on for an ungodly
amount of time has finally been released. This is IC 1/8 and 1/10 scale nitro
RC cars, so not something probably for the majority of you folks. Still
though, maybe fun to try and see what top level RC cars are like :-)

Download is free and comes with two free tracks. Extra tracks and online event
competitions cost extra. If you're an RC buff then there's an adaptor to use
your radio with. See site for details, blah blah blah, etc.. etc..

http://www.virtualrc.com

:-)

Todd Wasson
Racing Software
http://PerformanceSimulations.com
http://performancesimulations.com/scnshot4.htm

Old November 30th 04, 03:11 AM
Spudster

Anybody tried this yet? Somebody please post a review!

Old November 30th 04, 05:11 AM
Ruud Dingemans

Spudster wrote:
> Anybody tried this yet? Somebody please post a review!

I would since I'm an (ex-) R/C car driver, but can't try it - the system
requirements are quite staggering for an r/c car game/sim. Sniff.

Regards, Rudy
--------------------
GPLRank: -24

Old November 30th 04, 12:57 PM
J.D. Ellis

Spudster wrote:
> Anybody tried this yet? Somebody please post a review!

Very impressive effort.

Installation and activation went smoothly.

I haven't messed around with R/C stuff in over 10 yrs, and nothing as
serious as the cars portrayed in the sim.

I could get around the free oval (RC Speedway) pretty well after a few
laps, but I was absolutely lost at Oslo. I had a hard time being able
to look far enough ahead, so it was like playing an old top-down view
racer, "uh oh turn!" A function of not having recent R/C experience,
I'd say to some extent.

I don't think I'll invest in credits for online play, no reason of the
sim's or Todd's work, just not compelling enough with the other sims
taking up my time. I'll probably at least buy the Cincinnati track,
since I know where it is, and enjoy it offline. I'd be willing to buy a
reasonably-priced AI add-on too.

Worth the download to try out, IMHO.

-jde

Old December 1st 04, 02:32 AM
Damien Smith

It keeps saying that the tracks aren't registered so I can't get it to work.
There's also major graphic problems on the intro screens. I'm using ATI
Catalyst 4.11. First game/demo I've had issues with in at least the last 5
years - needs a lot more testing by the looks of it.

Old December 1st 04, 03:20 PM
Andre Warringa

At least you got that far - windows opens the msi file with notepad
here, I have no idea how I can fix this :-/

Andre

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:32:24 +1000, "Damien Smith"

Old December 1st 04, 03:53 PM
Dave Henrie

Andre Warringa > wrote in
:

> At least you got that far - windows opens the msi file with notepad
> here, I have no idea how I can fix this :-/
>
> Andre

with win98, and I hope XP is similar, you open the folder you extracted
the msi file and click on the view menu option at the top. then choose the
folder options. You should see at least 3 tabs. Choose the file types tab
and scroll down til you see the .msi extension. click on the edit button,
you will next see a small window with probably the OPEN command inside.
Below that are several buttons, choose remove. That will keep notepad from
getting first crack at the file.
dh

Old December 1st 04, 04:47 PM
Stephen F.

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> Andre Warringa > wrote in
> :
>
>> At least you got that far - windows opens the msi file with notepad
>> here, I have no idea how I can fix this :-/
>>
>> Andre

> with win98, and I hope XP is similar, you open the folder you extracted
> the msi file and click on the view menu option at the top. then choose
> the
> folder options. You should see at least 3 tabs. Choose the file types
> tab
> and scroll down til you see the .msi extension. click on the edit button,
> you will next see a small window with probably the OPEN command inside.
> Below that are several buttons, choose remove. That will keep notepad
> from
> getting first crack at the file.
> dh

Talk about customer-friendly installations. I'm sure every RC enthusiast out
there who wants to try the demo will know this. :-)

Stephen

Old December 1st 04, 03:34 PM
Šeon

Damien Smith wrote:
> It keeps saying that the tracks aren't registered so I can't get it
> to work. There's also major graphic problems on the intro screens.
> I'm using ATI Catalyst 4.11. First game/demo I've had issues with in
> at least the last 5 years - needs a lot more testing by the looks of
> it.

Make sure you're signed in on the website, before starting the game and
trying to register the tracks