A question about rim size...

Old August 24th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Boris

Default A question about rim size...

I just bought a `88 Wrangler with 315/75/16 tires. I don`t have a spare tire
so I need a spare. I know that I need a 16" rim, 5 bolt 4.5" but what rim
width do I need for a 315/75/16 tire?
Thanks
Boris

Old August 24th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

An 88 with 16's?????? Stock it came with 15's. You can use any 15"
wrangler rim and a cheap tire as close to the same size as you can get
for a spare unless you have lockers all around.

I 'sure' wouldn't put a tire that large out back. It will rip the back
door off on the first off road trip. I run 33x9.5's on stock chrome
Laredo 15x7" rims with a 31 as a spare.

The '75 aspect ratio usually fits on a 7" or 8" wide rim. The original
tires were on a 7" rim with some trim packages coming with an 8" rim.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 24th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

An 8-10" rim should work. Couldn't you just remove a wheel and measure the
rim width? it's possible to do without removing the tire, if you want the
spare to match.

Old August 24th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Most rims have the size stamped into the back side.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Boris

Thank you for the replies so far....I`m going to get one of those 48"
Farmers Jack`s
At this point I just want a spare tire... as long it is the same height as
the other 3 tires I don`t care if it is skinnier. I`m only going to drive 10
miles or so until I get the original 35" tire fixed. I`m looking for a $50
steel rim and a $100 tire. I`m probably not the sharpest crayon in the box
when it comes to tires+rim sizes..... could someone suggest a rim and a
tire....please.
Thanks
Boris
http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Old August 25th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Those 'farmers jacks' are more properly called 'widow makers' and have
no business anywhere near a Jeep in my opinion!

I carry a hand cable winch called a come-a-long,
http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html

And I have a small floor jack that tucks tight behind the passenger seat
for changing tires. I only need to jack it 2" to change a tire. I use
the axles.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Boris

How is a come-a-long gonna help me change a tire?....your second idea "small
floor jack" I will look into.

Old August 26th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Some folks think they can use the farm jack as a winch..... Or the
come-a-long can be used to winch the Jeep up to a tree to change a
tire...

Mike

Old August 26th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Boris

If I get a 225/75/16 or 205/75/16 will this be the same height as my
315/75/16? and what rim width will I need for this tire as a spare? or am I
way off base.
Thanks
Boris

Old August 26th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

The larger tire is about 34.6 inches tall while the smaller is 29.3 inches
tall.

The smaller tire (stock size) came with a 7 inch rim although you could
safely use down to a 6 inch rim.

If you just need something to get you by (emergency use only) you can
probably get a used 33" (275-285mm) tire on an used 8 inch rim pretty
cheaply.

"Boris" > wrote in message
> If I get a 225/75/16 or 205/75/16 will this be the same height as my
> 315/75/16? and what rim width will I need for this tire as a spare? or am
> I way off base.
> Thanks
> Boris
>
> "Boris" > wrote in message
>> Thank you for the replies so far....I`m going to get one of those 48"
>> Farmers Jack`s
>> At this point I just want a spare tire... as long it is the same height
>> as the other 3 tires I don`t care if it is skinnier. I`m only going to
>> drive 10 miles or so until I get the original 35" tire fixed. I`m looking
>> for a $50 steel rim and a $100 tire. I`m probably not the sharpest crayon
>> in the box when it comes to tires+rim sizes..... could someone suggest a
>> rim and a tire....please.
>> Thanks
>> Boris
>> http://public.fotki.com/borysd/
>>

>> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>>> Most rims have the size stamped into the back side.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>>> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>>> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
>>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

specific endplay question Chronologic VW air cooled 2 August 26th 05 10:23 PM
Tire size question rodod Saturn 2 August 10th 05 07:55 AM
E46 wheels and tires Planar1 BMW 26 July 9th 05 12:48 PM
Tire Size Question Coasty Jeep 23 July 6th 05 01:33 AM