Sometimes, you have to reboot E39, too

Old December 13th 04, 06:41 PM
Grim Joker

Default Sometimes, you have to reboot E39, too

This morning I started the car (having cursed myself for not holding
the key in "start" position long enough for the car to start without a
hiccup), drove away, switched on the CD and was really, really
surprised - it sounded like those matchbox radios made in 50s. And the
headlights were on, though it was a daytime.

Well, there's no better cure for any problem than a good reboot. Had to
shut the engine off, take out the key, reinsert it and start the car
again for the problem to go away.

Hmm... I thought E6x were the only ones you were supposed to reboot...

"Kids, get away from appliances - we're gonna reboot the house" --
Frank Jones, 1997

Old December 13th 04, 10:35 PM
Vernon Balbert

Grim Joker wrote:
> This morning I started the car (having cursed myself for not holding
> the key in "start" position long enough for the car to start without a
> hiccup), drove away, switched on the CD and was really, really
> surprised - it sounded like those matchbox radios made in 50s. And the
> headlights were on, though it was a daytime.
>
> Well, there's no better cure for any problem than a good reboot. Had to
> shut the engine off, take out the key, reinsert it and start the car
> again for the problem to go away.
>
> Hmm... I thought E6x were the only ones you were supposed to reboot...

My E34 has to be rebooted occasionally. With that one it's the cruise
control that stops working. Reboot the car and it works. Go figger.
Old December 14th 04, 12:40 AM
Dan Drake

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:35:10 GMT, Vernon Balbert >
wrote:

>My E34 has to be rebooted occasionally. With that one it's the cruise
>control that stops working. Reboot the car and it works. Go figger.

I have a radar detector that I have to take the batteries out of
periodically for a cold boot. We've been doing it for years with PCs,
why not anything else with a CPU in it? It shouldn't be, but it is.
--
Dan Drake
Old December 14th 04, 01:14 AM
tech27

"Dan Drake" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:35:10 GMT, Vernon Balbert >
> wrote:
>
>>My E34 has to be rebooted occasionally. With that one it's the cruise
>>control that stops working. Reboot the car and it works. Go figger.

> I have a radar detector that I have to take the batteries out of
> periodically for a cold boot. We've been doing it for years with PCs,
> why not anything else with a CPU in it? It shouldn't be, but it is.
> --
> Dan Drake

Serves you right for buying the "Microsoft Enhanced" versions of cars and
detectors!

Old December 14th 04, 01:24 AM
Dan Drake

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:14:51 -0500, "tech27"
> wrote:

>> I have a radar detector that I have to take the batteries out of
>> periodically for a cold boot. We've been doing it for years with PCs,
>> why not anything else with a CPU in it? It shouldn't be, but it is.

>Serves you right for buying the "Microsoft Enhanced" versions of cars and
>detectors!

If you say so. But I don't think that Win CE found its way into my
OBII or radar detector yet, though. It will come, but it's not there
yet.
--
Dan Drake
Old December 14th 04, 04:29 AM

"Grim Joker" > wrote in
oups.com:

> This morning I started the car (having cursed myself for not holding
> the key in "start" position long enough for the car to start without a
> hiccup), drove away, switched on the CD and was really, really
> surprised - it sounded like those matchbox radios made in 50s. And the
> headlights were on, though it was a daytime.
>
> Well, there's no better cure for any problem than a good reboot. Had to
> shut the engine off, take out the key, reinsert it and start the car
> again for the problem to go away.
>
> Hmm... I thought E6x were the only ones you were supposed to reboot...
>
> "Kids, get away from appliances - we're gonna reboot the house" --
> Frank Jones, 1997

sucks man. Makes me appreciate the ol 74tii even more