Replace shift knob - 1996 Explorer Sport

Old December 28th 04, 06:06 AM
M B

Default Replace shift knob - 1996 Explorer Sport

Hello,

I am looking to replace the shift knob on my 1996 Ford Explorer sport.

Can anyone tell me how I can remove the old one?

I am only looking to replace the actual knob on the top.

Thank You,

Matt

Old December 28th 04, 06:07 AM
M B

I forgot to say that it is a manual transmition mounted on the floor.

Thanks,

Matt

Old December 28th 04, 06:11 AM
John Riggs

Have you tried pulling straight up....probably a pretty tight fit, so it
will need a bit of muscle.

Old December 28th 04, 06:16 AM
Paul Scrutton

In my experience, you wait 50K miles and the thing will come off in your
hand.

It is a friction fit item. To install it, I have found hammering it down
with a thick book seems to work well. Getting it off could be tough.

Don't know how one would go about removing it prior to it loosening up by
itself. I suspect very careful use of a hacksaw might work, but you might
score the shaft underneath.

Paul