Headlights + Turn Signal = High Beams?!

Old August 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
blee

Default Headlights + Turn Signal = High Beams?!

I recently purchased a 1992 525i 5-speed. With the headlights on,
flipping the turn lever down (to signal left) makes the high beams turn
on. This does not happen when the lever is pressed down before the
detent (as if I were changing lanes) and does not happen when the lever
is pulled up to turn right. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Old August 1st 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Spack

blee wrote on 31 Jul 2006 20:35:40 -0700:

> I recently purchased a 1992 525i 5-speed. With the headlights on,
> flipping the turn lever down (to signal left) makes the high beams turn
> on. This does not happen when the lever is pressed down before the
> detent (as if I were changing lanes) and does not happen when the lever
> is pulled up to turn right. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I've had this before on my E36 - and then realised it was my fault. At the
bottom of the anti-clockwise stroke I was nudging the lever forward which
puts on the high beams. I know it sounds patronising to ask, but are you
sure you're not knocking it slightly forward?

Dan

Old August 1st 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
blee

Spack wrote:
> I've had this before on my E36 - and then realised it was my fault. At the
> bottom of the anti-clockwise stroke I was nudging the lever forward which
> puts on the high beams. I know it sounds patronising to ask, but are you
> sure you're not knocking it slightly forward?
>
> Dan

I went out to my car last night to investigate further. It turns out
that the signal lever has enough play in it now, such that it rocks
forward just slightly when it's fully depressed -- enough to touch the
contact for the high beams. Pulling back on the lever (as if to flash
my lights) a very, very small amount is sufficient to make it go away.
Sounds like I need a new switch in there.