two bolts left

Old March 8th 05, 06:14 PM
tricky

Default two bolts left

Hello all

Just about got my body free on the 1303. Lots of grinding and unwelding
- the body has been welded to the floor almost completely over the years !!.
Anyway, I have removed all the bolts except 2. on the superbeetle site
it says there are under the back seat, 4 13mm bolts and 2 17mm bolts in
the corner.

I have done the 13mm bolts but cant find the 17mm bolts. Can anyone post
a pic of these two or a link that shows them.

They may be burried under more welded patches on mine so I need to know
where to cut !

Cheers
Rich
Old March 8th 05, 06:42 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Just about got my body free on the 1303. Lots of grinding and unwelding
> - the body has been welded to the floor almost completely over the years !!.
> Anyway, I have removed all the bolts except 2. on the superbeetle site
> it says there are under the back seat, 4 13mm bolts and 2 17mm bolts in
> the corner.
>
> I have done the 13mm bolts but cant find the 17mm bolts. Can anyone post
> a pic of these two or a link that shows them.
>
> They may be burried under more welded patches on mine so I need to know
> where to cut !
>
> Cheers
> Rich

These are outside, in the wheel well. Not inside the car. They are near
the place where the top of the rear shock absorber attaches to. Probably
hidden under dirt. Sorry, no good picture right this minute, I'll look
one up later

Jan
Old March 8th 05, 07:38 PM
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote:

> tricky wrote:
> >
> > Hello all
> >
> > Just about got my body free on the 1303. Lots of grinding and unwelding
> > - the body has been welded to the floor almost completely over the years !!.
> > Anyway, I have removed all the bolts except 2. on the superbeetle site
> > it says there are under the back seat, 4 13mm bolts and 2 17mm bolts in
> > the corner.
> >
> > I have done the 13mm bolts but cant find the 17mm bolts. Can anyone post
> > a pic of these two or a link that shows them.
> >
> > They may be burried under more welded patches on mine so I need to know
> > where to cut !
> >
> > Cheers
> > Rich

> These are outside, in the wheel well. Not inside the car. They are near
> the place where the top of the rear shock absorber attaches to. Probably
> hidden under dirt. Sorry, no good picture right this minute, I'll look
> one up later
>
> Jan

He

http://bugfuel.tripod.com/Type4/t4apron.jpg

To the right from the shock absorber, very close to the edge of the
picture.

Jan
Old March 8th 05, 11:15 PM
tricky

Hi Jan

Thanks for that. But got those !

This link refers to two 17mm inside, under the rear seat.

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jun.htm

second picture down.

I have a feeling they arent there but want to check.

Rich

Old March 8th 05, 11:23 PM
Shag

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:15:30 GMT, tricky >
wrote:

>Hi Jan
>
>Thanks for that. But got those !
>
>This link refers to two 17mm inside, under the rear seat.
>
>http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jun.htm
>
>second picture down.

heh heh
Those guys are wearing white shirts with collars.

>I have a feeling they arent there but want to check.
>
>Rich
>

>Jan Andersson wrote:
>> Jan Andersson wrote:

>>>These are outside, in the wheel well. Not inside the car. They are near
>>>the place where the top of the rear shock absorber attaches to. Probably
>>>hidden under dirt. Sorry, no good picture right this minute, I'll look
>>>one up later
>>>
>>>Jan

>> He
>>
>> http://bugfuel.tripod.com/Type4/t4apron.jpg
>>

>> To the right from the shock absorber, very close to the edge of the
>> picture.
>>
>> Jan

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 9th 05, 01:09 PM
tricky

Well, after having a good look, I decided there were no more bolts.

I let the car back down to the floor. I placed a 2x6 under the front
bumper and jacked it up slowly. I had turned the radio off so I could
here if the bumper mounts were caving in !
There were 2 little welds I had missed, but slowly the front seperated
:-) :-) :-) :-) So cool ! better than pulling the engine for the 1st
time !.

I lifted till I had about 1" seperation, and took the oportunity to take
the reservior hoses off the master cylinder. (couldnt get my hand in
the gap before).

I did the same at the back, that was easyer. Again 1" and I let it back
down.

Got a couple of wires to disconnect from the geny and starter and thats
it . Success :-) :-) :-) :-)

Got to figure out where to put it while I work on the floor pans.
I will either leave it outside or hang it from the roof as it will need
some work too.

I will get my camera sorted and put some pics somwhere.

Thanks for all your help so far
Bye for now
Rich (still :-) smiling!)

Old March 10th 05, 05:14 PM
TerryB

tricky > wrote in
:

> Well, after having a good look, I decided there were no more bolts.
>

> Thanks for all your help so far
> Bye for now
> Rich (still :-) smiling!)
>
> tricky wrote:
>> Hello all
>> Cheers
>> Rich

I have found no other auto that rewards you quite like a VW does for
working on it. They love it!!

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS