Break-in oil 2004 Accord

Old September 29th 04, 10:50 PM
Bo Hica

Default Break-in oil 2004 Accord

Just checked the oil in anticipation of a trip in my new accord (3500 mi or
so) and it's still fine, more than halfway up btw the full and add marks on
the dipstick (dipstick is a PITA by the way...).

Just wondering, since they're so adamant about not changing the breakin oil
too soon (I plan at 5K) - if one did need to top off a little, what would
they use? Is is just standard Honda 5w20? Just that plus additives?
Something else?

- Bo

Old September 29th 04, 11:06 PM
Gary

They told me, they do not use break-in oil anymore...
plan to change mine at 5k

. com...

Old September 29th 04, 11:34 PM
Steve Bigelow

"Gary" > wrote in message
> They told me, they do not use break-in oil anymore...
> plan to change mine at 5k

The carmaker tell you that, or the independant salesdroid?

Old September 30th 04, 12:03 AM
Gary

Honda USA

Old September 30th 04, 12:23 AM
Steve Bigelow

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Honda USA

Can you be a little more specific?

Old September 30th 04, 12:48 AM
Gary

Call customer service for Honda, I did not believe the dealer

Old September 30th 04, 08:49 PM
JM

"Bo Hica" > wrote in message .com>...
> Just checked the oil in anticipation of a trip in my new accord (3500 mi or
> so) and it's still fine, more than halfway up btw the full and add marks on
> the dipstick (dipstick is a PITA by the way...).
>
> Just wondering, since they're so adamant about not changing the breakin oil
> too soon (I plan at 5K) - if one did need to top off a little, what would
> they use? Is is just standard Honda 5w20? Just that plus additives?
> Something else?
>
> - Bo

If you need to add some, you'll be fine using Pennzoil 5W20 (or
5W30/10W30 for that matter). You shouldn't have to add enough to make
much of a difference in any case, but Pennzoil is very high in
Molybdenum, as is Honda's break in oil. Many other oils have little
or no Moly.

5,000 may be okay for the I4, but I wouldn't go past 3,750 on the V6.
Honda's V6's are very dirty engines during break-in. (And break-in
may effectively last 12,000+ miles!) Change a little early, use
Pennzoil for refill.

My wife's MDX has about 3,500 miles, it will be changed very shortly.
My V6 Accord now has 811 miles; I won't let it go past 3,750-4,000
either. Given the fact that I have two new Honda vehicles, and with
the mystifying info floating around about break-in oil, the 5W20
requirement, and dealers not even agreeing with Honda about the proper
change intervals, I spent about a full day researching this.

Huge amounts of info, and actual oil analysis of Honda vehicles is
available at bobistheoilguy.com

JM
Old September 30th 04, 10:35 PM
RPoole2252

Copied from honda owner link.

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for
new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may
contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long
enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance
interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving
conditions.

Old October 1st 04, 05:34 PM
Sparky

RPoole2252 wrote:

> Copied from honda owner link.
>
> Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
>
> Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for
> new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may
> contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
>
> American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long
> enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance
> interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving
> conditions.

When I asked my local dealer about an oil change when my '03 Accord I4
had 3,700 miles, he said I was overdue!
Old October 4th 04, 06:57 AM
lcopps

Your local dealer contradicts the owners manual. I changed at 10K miles
with 5W20 Valvoline Synthetic. No sweat.

looking for 2004 BMW 325i Raj BMW 0 October 19th 04 08:00 PM
Accord EX 2004 vs 2005 SmarSquid Honda 8 September 30th 04 01:33 PM
Cost of 2004 CR-V, EX, Auto Harvey Cohen Honda 3 September 30th 04 01:09 AM
2004 Accord EX V6 or EX 4 Cyl???? lcopps Honda 2 September 29th 04 02:24 AM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM