86 Bronco 2 has a short

Old July 6th 05, 06:21 PM
prp58

Default 86 Bronco 2 has a short

I changed the battery, starter celinoid,starter,when I tried to start
nothing at all no horn, radio, dome light is very dim thats it..help!!!!if
it is a short as i was told where to begin to trace it.

Old July 6th 05, 08:28 PM
Spud Demon

"prp58" > writes in article outautos.com> dated Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:21:42 -0400:
> I changed the battery, starter celinoid,starter,when I tried to start
>nothing at all no horn, radio, dome light is very dim thats it..help!!!!if
>it is a short as i was told where to begin to trace it.

With a new, charged battery, is the dome light only dim when you try to
start it or is it dim all the time?

If it's all the time, then yes you have a short. If it's only when you try
to start, you either have a short across your starter or the engine is
seized.

If you have a standard transmission, you can try a push-start. If the
engine does not turn over in a push-start, that proves it is seized.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old July 6th 05, 08:40 PM
Mike Romain

Did 'big' sparks blow off the connection when you put the new battery
in? If so, you have a short, if not, you likely just have a dirty
connection on one of the main battery cables. Don't forget the cables
have 2 ends each that need cleaning.

On an 86 I would first suspect the ground connection where it bolts to
the engine block from the battery or the wire mesh ground strap from the
tranny bell housing up to the body as being dirty.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 7th 05, 02:13 AM
Peter D. Hipson

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:21:42 -0400, "prp58" >
wrote:

> I changed the battery, starter celinoid,starter,when I tried to start
>nothing at all no horn, radio, dome light is very dim thats it..help!!!!if
>it is a short as i was told where to begin to trace it.

Uh, stop listening to people who tell you that there is a short?

You have an *OPEN* or almost open circuit, not a short. Clean the
battery terminals, check the battery cables, check the ground
connection at the engine, check the engine to body ground strap.