Oil in water, 156 V6, blown headgasket?

Old July 24th 04, 10:24 PM
Dag

Default Oil in water, 156 V6, blown headgasket?

Hi

I got a 156 V6 that has run about 130k km. I checked the cooling tank some
days ago and found the regular trace of a blown headgasket. Brown gel
underneath the coolingtank cap.

I've checked this at three garages, and the two first told me it was a blown
headgasket, and a repair must be done (very expensive). The third garage
told me that this was quite regular with the Alfa V6 engines, since the oil
pressure is so much higher than the cooling water pressure. The guy I talked
to also mentioned that he had a 164 V6 that had this for several years
without doing anything and the car is still running great.

So I figured that due to the high cost of fixing this I find it very temting
to wait for the cambelt to be changed (another 30k km). Any comments or
advises on what to do is higly appreciated.

rgds

Dag K

Old July 25th 04, 01:29 PM
Catman

Dag wrote:

> Hi
>
> I got a 156 V6 that has run about 130k km. I checked the cooling tank some
> days ago and found the regular trace of a blown headgasket. Brown gel
> underneath the coolingtank cap.
>
> I've checked this at three garages, and the two first told me it was a
> blown headgasket, and a repair must be done (very expensive). The third
> garage told me that this was quite regular with the Alfa V6 engines, since
> the oil pressure is so much higher than the cooling water pressure. The
> guy I talked to also mentioned that he had a 164 V6 that had this for
> several years without doing anything and the car is still running great.
>
> So I figured that due to the high cost of fixing this I find it very
> temting to wait for the cambelt to be changed (another 30k km). Any
> comments or advises on what to do is higly appreciated.

<sticks neck out>

I've heard similar tales. It's your car, and your money. It might be
worth getting a decent compression test to ensure (I think) that it's not
leaking too badly, but I'd be tempted to wait.

Don't blame me if it goes bang though

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 25th 04, 08:41 PM
Alfistagj

At least re-torque the cylinderhead bolts (nut?) to be sure nothing is too
loose.
Indeed the oil pressure is much higher so you'll "only" get oil in the
coolant so lubrication is guaranteed.
Without blowing can also cause the aluminium cylinder head burn at the spot
of the leak beyond possible planning limits.
My guess would be to check all liquid levels at every tank stop and keep an
eye on the temperatures and listen carefully if the engine still sound
"smooth".
Also check the exhaust fumes; "white" = water.
As long as it leaks a little you'll hardly see any fumes.
Only bad point: A slightly leaking headgasket can blow anytime completely
leaving you standing by the side of the road. And as by Murphy's law this
will also be when you are on your way to a job interview, wedding, funeral
or other unimportant event ;-(

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Dag" > schreef in bericht

Old July 25th 04, 10:35 PM
Catman

Alfistagj wrote:

> At least re-torque the cylinderhead bolts (nut?) to be sure nothing is too
> loose.

Don't they use stretch bolts now? If so re-torquing might make it worse.

> Indeed the oil pressure is much higher so you'll "only" get oil in the
> coolant so lubrication is guaranteed.
> Without blowing can also cause the aluminium cylinder head burn at the
> spot of the leak beyond possible planning limits.
> My guess would be to check all liquid levels at every tank stop and keep
> an eye on the temperatures and listen carefully if the engine still sound
> "smooth".
> Also check the exhaust fumes; "white" = water.
> As long as it leaks a little you'll hardly see any fumes.
> Only bad point: A slightly leaking headgasket can blow anytime completely
> leaving you standing by the side of the road. And as by Murphy's law this
> will also be when you are on your way to a job interview, wedding, funeral
> or other unimportant event ;-(

How true. I've heard tell though that the old straight 4s would run
without a gasket at all. Not that I wanted to try you understand

Old July 26th 04, 12:20 PM
Alfistagj

"Catman" > schreef in bericht
.. .
> Alfistagj wrote:
>
> > At least re-torque the cylinderhead bolts (nut?) to be sure nothing is

too
> > loose.

> Don't they use stretch bolts now? If so re-torquing might make it worse.

Not if the bolt is loose!!
May be I should have added that you shouldn't loosen the bolts first, but
just apply the full torque in situe

Old July 29th 04, 07:16 PM
Dr Entropy

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:20:26 +0200, "Alfistagj" > pee'd
inna snow, the following:

X:
X:"Catman" > schreef in bericht
X:> Alfistagj wrote:
X:>
X:> > At least re-torque the cylinderhead bolts (nut?) to be sure nothing is
X:too
X:> > loose.
X:>
X:> Don't they use stretch bolts now? If so re-torquing might make it worse.
X:>
X:
X:Not if the bolt is loose!!
X:May be I should have added that you shouldn't loosen the bolts first, but
X:just apply the full torque in situe

heh. I used to live in the NE US... bought head gaskets by the 6-pack with my first Alfa (GT
Junior). A running joke at the dealership. Then I learned to warm it up a bit *before* jumping onto
the 50MPH highway at the bottom of the driveway during the winter months. The only retorque I do
now is if the oil contaminates the coolant (the original subject/symptom in this thread), and that
usually stops the problem. But all my Alfas have been the inline TOHC four cylinder variety.

Dr E--
mhm 17x1

Linux: Load it, Learn it, Love it.
Old July 29th 04, 08:26 PM
Juhan Leemet

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:16:29 -0400, Dr Entropy wrote:
> heh. I used to live in the NE US... bought head gaskets by the 6-pack
> with my first Alfa (GT Junior). A running joke at the dealership. Then
> I learned to warm it up a bit *before* jumping onto the 50MPH highway at
> the bottom of the driveway during the winter months...

Just curious, what kind/spec oil are/were you running?

BTW, thinking about moving to the country (and paint my mail box blue?)
and the possibility of being a "shade tree mechanic" again... get an Alfa...
Well, one can dream, can't one? I miss a 2600 spider I couldn't afford,
and a 2000 GTV that I actually could. Hard to run an Alfa in E.Canada tho.

> Linux: Load it, Learn it, Love it.

Love them *nix!

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

Old August 4th 04, 11:46 AM
Dr Entropy

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:26:38 -0200, Juhan Leemet > pee'd inna snow, the
following:

X:On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:16:29 -0400, Dr Entropy wrote:
X:> heh. I used to live in the NE US... bought head gaskets by the 6-pack
X:> with my first Alfa (GT Junior). A running joke at the dealership. Then
X:> I learned to warm it up a bit *before* jumping onto the 50MPH highway at
X:> the bottom of the driveway during the winter months...
X:
X:Just curious, what kind/spec oil are/were you running?

As I recall, it was all Pennzoil 30wt then. A bit "stiff" in winter temps ;-}
X:
X:BTW, thinking about moving to the country (and paint my mail box blue?)
X:and the possibility of being a "shade tree mechanic" again... get an Alfa...
X:Well, one can dream, can't one? I miss a 2600 spider I couldn't afford,
X:and a 2000 GTV that I actually could. Hard to run an Alfa in E.Canada tho.
X:
The Bertone bodied coupes are still my favorite Alfas. Wish I could find one I could afford.