Radiator question

Old July 19th 05, 09:52 PM
Eric

Default Radiator question

The stem on the left side of the radiator that connects a hose to the
over flow tank, has broke. Can the stem be replaced or do I have to get
a new radiator?

Old July 19th 05, 10:25 PM
Woodchuck

Yep & maybe! Now if we knew what year and car you owned then my answer maybe
different.

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 10:53 PM
Eric

Sorry, the car is a 1992 Cabriolet.

Old July 20th 05, 05:31 AM
Harry

"Eric" > wrote

> The stem on the left side of the radiator that connects a hose to the
> over flow tank, has broke. Can the stem be replaced or do I have to get
> a new radiator?

Call a couple of radiator shops and ask if they can repair it and how much.

Other than a new one, a cheap approach would be to pull one out of one of
the pull-it-yourself auto wrecker yards. The yard near me has a few VW
radiators I am sure others do too. Use caution in a case like this at these
yards as many times they are cheap but 'as is' -look for signs of radiator
failure.

Keep the thermo-switch in it for spare if you pull one. I have had great
luck with these yards, recently pulling a blower motor for 10 dollars that
cost retail around 160. Like-new speedo cable with gear for 5 dollars. They
usually don't know the value of VW parts - some do - naturally of course -
in my yard near me I could pull a head for 20 or 30 bucks, a Sanyo
compressor for 15. They charged me 5 dollars for complete brake lines that I
pulled off. Love saving money!!! I have found used parts have worked
wonderfully.

Harry

Old July 20th 05, 10:11 AM
ThaDriver

Easy fix. Plastic part, right? Been there; done that. Get a brass "nipple"
at the hardware store. It'll have a pipe thread on one end, nipple for a
hose on the other. If you don't have one, also pickup a tap the same size.
Drill the radiator, tap it, *carefully* thread in the nipple - sealing ithe
threads with two-part epoxy glue.
Now the thing about pipe threads is that they are *tapered*. This means if
you tighten it you'll crack the plastic tank - so DON'T TIGHTEN IT. Just
*barely* snug by hand or with a deepwell socket on screwdriver-type
handle. The epoxy will seal it (be sure to let it dry completely).
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the *right application* of
high explosives.