1986 Reliant K-Car up and down revs

Old February 2nd 05, 12:53 AM

Default 1986 Reliant K-Car up and down revs

Hi. My 86 K-Car has started to rev quite fast upon start-up and then it
kicks down only to go back up again over and over. When it finally
drops enough I put it in Drive, but it seems to accelerate on its own
without even touching the gas pedal. When I get to where I'm going (and
the engine's warm), putting it in Neutral or Park only causes the revs
to speed up again. I don't want to shut it off when it's revving that
fast.
Thanks for your help (I have to make the K last another year).

Old February 2nd 05, 11:24 AM
Carl Keehn

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi. My 86 K-Car has started to rev quite fast upon start-up and then it
> kicks down only to go back up again over and over. When it finally
> drops enough I put it in Drive, but it seems to accelerate on its own
> without even touching the gas pedal. When I get to where I'm going (and
> the engine's warm), putting it in Neutral or Park only causes the revs
> to speed up again. I don't want to shut it off when it's revving that
> fast.
> Thanks for your help (I have to make the K last another year).

I would gather that you have tried to dump diagnostic codes and didn't get
any?

I had an O2 sensor go bad on my 88 Reliant. Gave the same symptoms.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:20 AM

Hi, Carl. Thanks for your reply. The diagnostic codes didn't indicate
any problems. I'll look into your suggestion.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:23 AM

Hi Jeff. Thanks for your kind input. It is a 2.2L engine. I'll have
your ideas checked out.

Old February 4th 05, 11:40 PM
frenchy

Can you be more specific on which wiring harness needs to be checked in
this situation, I have a 2.2 turbo '85 that has also been doing this,
random (but starts to want to do it after warms up) revving and
lowering of idle. Can rev way too high. All vac hoses
repaired/checked (which fixed a problem with the wastegate not kicking
in), removed and cleaned the whole throttle body etc. No codes when it
does this. Definitely the idle motor is activating the overrevving cuz
if I disconnect it the overrevving goes away (but I can't run the car
like that of course or it won't rev high enough for cold running.) Is
it only the wires for the idle motor itself that are in question here
on the insulation, or ANY wires running around under there?
thanks!....Frenchy

Old February 5th 05, 01:05 AM
maxpower

"frenchy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Can you be more specific on which wiring harness needs to be checked in
> this situation, I have a 2.2 turbo '85 that has also been doing this,
> random (but starts to want to do it after warms up) revving and
> lowering of idle. Can rev way too high. All vac hoses
> repaired/checked (which fixed a problem with the wastegate not kicking
> in), removed and cleaned the whole throttle body etc. No codes when it
> does this. Definitely the idle motor is activating the overrevving cuz
> if I disconnect it the overrevving goes away (but I can't run the car
> like that of course or it won't rev high enough for cold running.) Is
> it only the wires for the idle motor itself that are in question here
> on the insulation, or ANY wires running around under there?
> thanks!....Frenchy

Frenchy, the harness he is referring to is not the same on your vehicle. On
Haywards vehicle the harness would rest on the intake/exhaust manifold and
short out causing the AIS motor to go crazy, all he has to do is check for
damage to the harness and get it off the manifold, You could have a problem
with the TPS sensor, coolant temp sensor, map sensor or AIS motor.
If it were mine I would have the system scanned to see the values of the
sensors. A sensor can be out of calibration without setting a fault code

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 19th 05, 10:37 PM
mhayward

"maxpower" > wrote in message >...
> "frenchy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Can you be more specific on which wiring harness needs to be checked in
> > this situation, I have a 2.2 turbo '85 that has also been doing this,
> > random (but starts to want to do it after warms up) revving and
> > lowering of idle. Can rev way too high. All vac hoses
> > repaired/checked (which fixed a problem with the wastegate not kicking
> > in), removed and cleaned the whole throttle body etc. No codes when it
> > does this. Definitely the idle motor is activating the overrevving cuz
> > if I disconnect it the overrevving goes away (but I can't run the car
> > like that of course or it won't rev high enough for cold running.) Is
> > it only the wires for the idle motor itself that are in question here
> > on the insulation, or ANY wires running around under there?
> > thanks!....Frenchy

> Frenchy, the harness he is referring to is not the same on your vehicle. On
> Haywards vehicle the harness would rest on the intake/exhaust manifold and
> short out causing the AIS motor to go crazy, all he has to do is check for
> damage to the harness and get it off the manifold, You could have a problem
> with the TPS sensor, coolant temp sensor, map sensor or AIS motor.
> If it were mine I would have the system scanned to see the values of the
> sensors. A sensor can be out of calibration without setting a fault code
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks very much Frenchy and Glenn for your help. It was the TPS
sensor and after replacement it seems to run okay now.

Michael.