Anyway to repair a tear in a urethane bumper cover?

Old November 29th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

Default Anyway to repair a tear in a urethane bumper cover?

I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a small
cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long vertical
tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?
Old November 29th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

elaich wrote:
> I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a small
> cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long vertical
> tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?

Yes. Check with your local body repair supply shop. Or do a
google search for one.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old November 29th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, elaich wrote:
> I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a small
> cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long vertical
> tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?

Yes. You'll need some 3M compounds. Ford recommends some in the '97 shop
manual I have but that may not apply to your '83.

I put a about a nickle sized gouge into my bumper cover and used 3M
flexible bumper filler and touch up paint and it was fine for years...
then someone rear ended me again (3rd hit to that bumper cover
not including when I damaged it) cracking up the paint on the bumper
cover. Body shop decided it was the same to replace as to remove the
layers of paint on it and then get it right.

Old November 29th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cobra65K

elaich wrote:
> I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a small
> cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long vertical
> tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?

On a 83 you'll probably find replacing the cover cheaper than repairing
one and having it repainted. I don't know the condition but if its
origional pigment its probably time to re-paint. So to get by try to
find a good one, same color in the salvage yards or on e-bay , replace
it then when your ready to have paint sprayed fix the other one and
re-paint car and covers so you'll have a spare.

Old November 29th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

There's a special type of flexible paint that you are supposed to use on
the urethane bumpers.

Old November 30th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

".boB" > wrote in
. com:

> elaich wrote:
>> I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a
>> small cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long
>> vertical tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?

> Yes. Check with your local body repair supply shop. Or do a
> google search for one.

Thanks, Einstein. Now PLONK.
Old November 30th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, elaich wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I just want to make the thing passable until getting
> another one.

Another thing I remembered... since you have a long crack, you'll need
the structural 'tape' that is made for repairing such things. A store
with a good selection of body work supplies should have it. Thing is they
have to match up for the type of plastic used in the cover.

Old December 1st 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, elaich wrote:

> I was thinking about 1) taking the cover off, 2) using some kind of tape or
> backing material behind the rip to stabilize it, and then 3) doing the
> outside cosmetics.
>
> Sound like a plan?

That's how it's done... just get the right stuff for the bumper you
have or you might end up doing it again.

Repair work question on hours it takes to change starter and one valve cover gasket Nicholas Anthony Ford Mustang 3 June 6th 06 03:57 AM
Scratch repair Steve Technology 3 April 28th 06 06:48 PM
plastic bumper repair [email protected] Honda 2 November 14th 05 07:27 PM
WTB C5 front bumper cover & pass. fr fender radar Corvette 0 December 28th 04 07:16 PM