Identify this part?

Old October 12th 04, 10:08 PM
peteg

Default Identify this part?

Anyone know what this is?

http://www.blueskyrafting.com/dodge-van.jpg

It is on a 1985 Dodge Full-size van. It has a sticky, yellow substance which
seems to be melting and dripping out of the bottom. Seems to be electrical
with no moving parts?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any help.

pete

Old October 13th 04, 08:16 PM
Bill

That is your electonic ignition control unit. The crap coming out of
it is the potting material used to cover the various components on the
PC board and protect them form the elements. I have had the entire
potting melt and the box was still servicing the cars needs. The
components are overheading causing that stuff to melt. If you want to
be sure replace it for about $40.00.

Bill

Old October 13th 04, 08:16 PM
Bill

Old October 13th 04, 09:24 PM
peteg

Thanks Bill. Any idea what makes the components overheat? Haven't noticed
any performance issues but what does this unit actually do?

pete

om...

Old October 13th 04, 09:24 PM
peteg

Thanks Bill. Any idea what makes the components overheat? Haven't noticed
any performance issues but what does this unit actually do?

pete

om...

Old October 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Bill

All I know is that it is an ignition control module. I have no idea
why in time they seem to do this melt down. I have had it happen on
several of my cars with no ultimate problems. I know they sell
performance versions of these. Companies like MSD and even Mopar do. I
would think it has something to do with the ultimate spark sent from
the distributor to the plug.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Bill

Old October 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Bill

Old October 17th 04, 12:27 AM
DudLee Brennfoerder

Most of the time it is resistance: either in the
unit or in the ignition system.
Common on Chrysler Vehicles -
easy to replace
(compared to the other guys).
When was the last time this vehicle had a complete tuneup:
plugs
wires
cap
rotor

The aftermarket ones are ok: Standard ignition, Borg, Echlin brands - just
pay a little more, and
buy the premium ones in the offering: you'll save time and money in the
long run!

--
DudLee
Brennfoerder

m...

Old October 17th 04, 12:27 AM
DudLee Brennfoerder

Most of the time it is resistance: either in the
unit or in the ignition system.
Common on Chrysler Vehicles -
easy to replace
(compared to the other guys).
When was the last time this vehicle had a complete tuneup:
plugs
wires
cap
rotor

The aftermarket ones are ok: Standard ignition, Borg, Echlin brands - just
pay a little more, and
buy the premium ones in the offering: you'll save time and money in the
long run!

--
DudLee
Brennfoerder