Can't latch top.

Old October 26th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Default Can't latch top.

Iva>> Thanks for that info. I will check that out tomorrow, when I am
back online with my PC in the morning. At the moment I am online with my
trusty old MSNTV (Webtv) box, because on my PC I access this grp. via
Google Grps, which is having a big problem since yesterday. And many, if
not any posts since yesterday have been showing up. So I came over here.
The MSNTV2 news reader, lists this grp. and all is well here. But the
browser on MSNTVs earlier generation box is so old (An equivalent to
IE4.0) that that site may or may not work. So I'll save it for the PC.

I do use a news reader on Outlook Express, news.mozarella.org to read
one of the grps that I am always in. But unfortunately that news reader
does not have this grp. in its' line up. But I can always trust in this
10 year old technology (Webtv :-) )).

Thanks again.

Old October 26th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Frank>>Probably because you have had your top down so long without
putting it up. I read about that problem in another thread very
recently. And in my inspection of that barrel adjustment nut, it doesn't
extend the movement of the latch. But just increases or decreases
(Depending on the direction you're turning it) the amount of pressure
needed to push the latch into place. Too much must be bad on the
latching surfaces IMO.

Someone said in another thread, that if your top has been down that long
that it just takes brute strength to get it up and seated properly.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old October 26th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Iva>>Surprising I could get on the planetmiata site with this MSNTV box.
And I see that they are a recycler.

We also have one,"Mazda Recycler," here near Sacramento, Calif, in
Rancho Cordova, that teammiata.com had recommened to me once. I tried
calling them today, and their site says open on Saturdays. So I am
thinking that maybe because of the economy, they are now closed on
Saturdays. I plan to call them on Monday, or try. if nothing I 'll try
planet. I had bought from the one near Sacto that plastic piece (Can't
recall what is called) that sits across the bottom of the front
windshield. It was extremely reasonable compared to a new one one from
the rip off dealer. And came very quickly, and I was very satisfied.

Old October 26th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

I have put this fix in here before, but here it is again:

Remove the latch from the top .

Take it apart.

Take the little tab part that moves to lock the latch inplace and drill
a hole in the face that contactes the main locking tab.

Drill and tap it for a 5-40 screw.

Screw a round head 5-40 screw into that little tab.

Put the latch back together.

Put it back on the top and it will lock every time.

The guts of the latch streach over time and so they do not interfear
like they should. Some of the 200o and on latches were just made with
too much clearance.

I had to rework the latches on my 2003 LS because they wouldn't lock.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old October 26th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

"BRUCE HASKIN" > wrote in message
>I have put this fix in here before, but here it is again:
>
> Remove the latch from the top .
>
> Take it apart.
>
> Take the little tab part that moves to lock the latch inplace and drill
> a hole in the face that contactes the main locking tab.
>
> Drill and tap it for a 5-40 screw.
>
> Screw a round head 5-40 screw into that little tab.
>
> Put the latch back together.
>
> Put it back on the top and it will lock every time.
>
> The guts of the latch streach over time and so they do not interfear
> like they should. Some of the 200o and on latches were just made with
> too much clearance.
>
> I had to rework the latches on my 2003 LS because they wouldn't lock.
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Sounds like a good fix, for someone not like Tim Allen in Home Improvement.
If I tried that (Taking it apart), I'd have a unit that worked somewhat to
one that is pure junk>>LOL LOL :-).

But thanks for the tip :-).