Ticket after selling car

Old June 4th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Default Ticket after selling car

On Jun 4, 9:33 am, Dean > wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My friend sold a broken-down '90s Accura in NJ in January for $400
> cash, and got no receipt. It was broken down in her driveway. They
> came, fixed it so that it drives ok, and took it away. A few days
> later, it got a ticket in NY for $95 for some kind of bad or missing
> plates, but the car was not re-registered until mid-March, according
> to the judge/DMV.
>
> Is there anything she can do to resolve this, or does she just have to
> pay up and call it unlucky?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> DeanB

First off your friend should have gotten a receipt, so this is
something to remember in the future. Secondly, your friend should
have gone down to the DMV after sale and immediately told them the car
had been sold and who it was sold too. That act will remove your name
from the records even if the new owner fails to reregister.

Your description indicates the judge has seen the DMV records so it
would appear she has already gone to court. If that is the case she
is out of luck. If not get all of the evidence available and bring it
to the court well ahead of time. Sometimes the local DA will show up
early to bargain down cases. Otherwise when court time comes explain
what happened and hope for mercy.

Old June 5th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E Meyer

On 6/4/07 11:30 AM, in article 46643e6a$1@kcnews01, "C. E. White"

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/T...ingVehicle.htm

>>> I don't understand - you give the title to the buyer, so how can
>>> you
>>> transfer it in 10 days? Isn't this for the buyer to do in 10 days?
>>>

>> Until the title is transferred, as far as the state is concerned,
>> the car
>> still belongs to the seller. So, regardless of who is supposed to
>> do the
>> paperwork, ownership and responsibility are not changed until it is
>> done.

> I don't believe this is the case, at least in NC. When I sell a car, I
> have to have the title notarized. The new owner doesn't necessarily
> have to get a new title immediately, but I sure has heck turn in the
> old plate immediately.
>
> Ed

It is definitely the case in Texas. In fact, if the car is recovered by the
police for any reason, it goes back to the titled owner. They don't change
the license plates here either. They stay with the car.

Old June 5th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

E Meyer wrote:
> > wrote:
>> "E Meyer" > wrote...
>>> Until the title is transferred, as far as the state is concerned,
>>> the car
>>> still belongs to the seller. So, regardless of who is supposed to
>>> do the
>>> paperwork, ownership and responsibility are not changed until it is
>>> done.

>> I don't believe this is the case, at least in NC. When I sell a car, I
>> have to have the title notarized. The new owner doesn't necessarily
>> have to get a new title immediately, but I sure has heck turn in the
>> old plate immediately.

> It is definitely the case in Texas. In fact, if the car is recovered by the
> police for any reason, it goes back to the titled owner. They don't change
> the license plates here either. They stay with the car.

There's some sort of procedure in Illinois by which one can renounce the
title and disclaim ownership.

Selling something? Lori Alfa Romeo 0 September 13th 05 11:08 PM
Selling My XJ M. E. Bye Jeep 0 April 24th 05 03:07 PM
Selling My '87 CRX HF :( White Buffalo Honda 1 April 19th 05 11:29 PM
Selling the lt4 rebco10 Corvette 16 January 16th 05 02:06 PM
Are you selling your car? John W 4x4 0 October 3rd 04 08:20 PM