Battery replacement comments and questions

Old November 10th 04, 06:28 PM
Tom's VR6

Default Battery replacement comments and questions

I had my battery replaced at a non-dealer, and they don't have a lot
of experiences with VW. Installation was "free". I wish I had
discussed things a tad differently, tho things worked out fine. With
winter coming, there may be others who would want to change the
battery now rather than in cold weather. I wanted to offer some
suggestions.

1. When the battery is restored, the alarm will go on. The alarm is
reset by turning the key in the door. The installer did ask about
that in advance, which is good. Even better would be the installer
who keeps a backup circuit powering things during the change so you
don't have to reprogram the radio from safe mode.

2. I have a black cloth cover over and around the sides of my
battery. I believe that a water return hose is intended to be routed
thru there on the way to the coolant reservoir. The cover would
insulate the battery to keep it warmer on cold days.

This cover is much easer to install if the installer moves it to the
new battery before securing the battery down. Note the orientation
of the flap and openings that clear the cables and hose. Consider
pinning a note to the cover that says "front". Check the install
before leaving the shop.

Now here are a few things that I am uncertain about.

1. I am somewhat uncertain about is how that hose should route. My
battery is in the front left (from the point of view of the driver--
is that the convention I should use in this kind of description?) in
the engine compartment. The Velcro flap flaps from the outside of
the vehicle toward the vehicle center. There is clearance for the
cables, and a small cutout on the front left to clear that warming
hose by the Velcro. However the hose is not really long enough to
come out the other side. I just fit the flap to let the hose come
thru about 2/3 of the way toward the rear of the battery. Does this
sound right?

2. Where the sides of the battery cover meet, there are two die-cut
tabs on one piece, and corresponding slits on the mating end. I
figure that the tabs go thru the slits, but there does not seem to
be any locking method. Is there a trick with that?

I see no mention of this blanket in the Bentley book.

Old November 12th 04, 06:12 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Tom's VR6 wrote:

>Now here are a few things that I am uncertain about.
>
>1. I am somewhat uncertain about is how that hose should route. My
>battery is in the front left (from the point of view of the driver--
>is that the convention I should use in this kind of description?) in
>the engine compartment. The Velcro flap flaps from the outside of
>the vehicle toward the vehicle center. There is clearance for the
>cables, and a small cutout on the front left to clear that warming
>hose by the Velcro. However the hose is not really long enough to
>come out the other side. I just fit the flap to let the hose come
>thru about 2/3 of the way toward the rear of the battery. Does this
>sound right?
>
>2. Where the sides of the battery cover meet, there are two die-cut
>tabs on one piece, and corresponding slits on the mating end. I
>figure that the tabs go thru the slits, but there does not seem to
>be any locking method. Is there a trick with that?
>
>I see no mention of this blanket in the Bentley book.

Comments?