Air Conditioning question

Old November 25th 04, 01:35 AM
Gerry

Default Air Conditioning question

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport. This AM, I was at a stop light and turned
the air on to defrost the windows. When I turned it on, the idle speed
dropped and the unit started to click on/off couple of seconds. Is this
serious?
Old November 25th 04, 02:10 AM
Jim Warman

Well, it certainly isn't any good for the AC clutch..... if left unattended,
the heat build up and friction can take many good parts south along with the
bad ones. First guess would be a leak in the system.... a low refrigerant
charge would give rapid clutch cycling BUT - I have seen the occasional
problem with both the high pressure switch and the low pressure switch.

Not to sound uppity but I would be getting this fixed rather than polling a
newsgroup for anecdotes....

On the up side, it is fodder for discussion which breeds knowledge. Sound
knowledge is a good thing in todays dog eat dog society.

Old November 25th 04, 03:42 AM
Gerry

Jim Warman wrote:
> Well, it certainly isn't any good for the AC clutch..... if left unattended,
> the heat build up and friction can take many good parts south along with the
> bad ones. First guess would be a leak in the system.... a low refrigerant
> charge would give rapid clutch cycling BUT - I have seen the occasional
> problem with both the high pressure switch and the low pressure switch.
>
> Not to sound uppity but I would be getting this fixed rather than polling a
> newsgroup for anecdotes....
>
> On the up side, it is fodder for discussion which breeds knowledge. Sound
> knowledge is a good thing in todays dog eat dog society.
>

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a 2001 Explorer Sport. This AM, I was at a stop light and turned
>>the air on to defrost the windows. When I turned it on, the idle speed
>>dropped and the unit started to click on/off couple of seconds. Is this
>>serious?

Thanks Jim

Could you estimate the cost for each of your suggestions?

Gerry
Old November 25th 04, 08:32 AM
Jim Warman

Without some time and opportunity for diagnostics, there's no way to
tell..... you can buy yourself some time by unplugging the AC compressor
clutch, but this is hardly any kind of "fix". A lot depends on what you
expect from your car. Personally, I have a hard time driving my own cars if
they exhibit anything abnormal.

I realize that many aren't in a financial position to repair problems as
they arise...... Like I tell my 16 year old son..... buying the damned thing
is likely the cheapest thing you will do to it.

Old November 28th 04, 03:00 PM
Herb Kauhry

Mine did this a couple years ago. I discovered a small rock (or something)
passed through the grill and pierced the condenser tubing.