Wierd Motorcycle

Old June 4th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Default Wierd Motorcycle

On Jun 2, 5:34 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> I've seen an odd looking motorcycle in the area over the past few weeks.
> It has three wheels, one in the back and two in the front.
>
> I got a good look at it cornering the other day. It appears to have some
> sort of front suspension linkage that keeps both front wheels on the
> ground and parallel to the body of the bike as it leans. This is unlike
> an automobile suspension, where the wheels (particularly the outside
> wheel) is kept at right angles to the pavement as the body rolls.
>
> What is it? And an even more interesting question: Why is it?
>
> --
> Paul Hovnanian
> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
> (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

Interesting concept that goes back decades in automobiles. Numerous
mircocars have been built using the reverse tricycle design. The
reverse design would seem to be inherently more stable than the
traditional tricycle design although agressive cornering would likely
introduce some interesting sensations.

I've seen some traditional tricycle design motorcycles powered by
small v8's that looked positively frightening in a slow corner.

Old June 7th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"John S." wrote:

> On Jun 2, 5:34 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> > I've seen an odd looking motorcycle in the area over the past few weeks.
> > It has three wheels, one in the back and two in the front.
> >
> > I got a good look at it cornering the other day. It appears to have some
> > sort of front suspension linkage that keeps both front wheels on the
> > ground and parallel to the body of the bike as it leans. This is unlike
> > an automobile suspension, where the wheels (particularly the outside
> > wheel) is kept at right angles to the pavement as the body rolls.
> >
> > What is it? And an even more interesting question: Why is it?
> >
> > --
> > Paul Hovnanian
> > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
> > (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

> Interesting concept that goes back decades in automobiles. Numerous
> mircocars have been built using the reverse tricycle design. The
> reverse design would seem to be inherently more stable than the
> traditional tricycle design although agressive cornering would likely
> introduce some interesting sensations.
>
> I've seen some traditional tricycle design motorcycles powered by
> small v8's that looked positively frightening in a slow corner.

The problem with most tricycle designs is that one can't lean into a
corner to offset the centrifugal cornering force. It corners more like a
four wheel vehicle, but the center of gravity is closer to the outside
wheels, so it has less leverage. Tricycles don't have the dynamic
stability that a motorcycle has. Motorcycles steer by leaning and if the
bike is pushed against the lean, the turn radius increases, reducing the
cornering force.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Hanlon's Razor:
Old June 7th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Jun 6, 8:54 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> "John S." wrote:
>
> > On Jun 2, 5:34 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> > > I've seen an odd looking motorcycle in the area over the past few weeks.
> > > It has three wheels, one in the back and two in the front.

> > > I got a good look at it cornering the other day. It appears to have some
> > > sort of front suspension linkage that keeps both front wheels on the
> > > ground and parallel to the body of the bike as it leans. This is unlike
> > > an automobile suspension, where the wheels (particularly the outside
> > > wheel) is kept at right angles to the pavement as the body rolls.

> > > What is it? And an even more interesting question: Why is it?

> > > --
> > > Paul Hovnanian
> > > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
> > > (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

> > Interesting concept that goes back decades in automobiles. Numerous
> > mircocars have been built using the reverse tricycle design. The
> > reverse design would seem to be inherently more stable than the
> > traditional tricycle design although agressive cornering would likely
> > introduce some interesting sensations.

> > I've seen some traditional tricycle design motorcycles powered by
> > small v8's that looked positively frightening in a slow corner.

> The problem with most tricycle designs is that one can't lean into a
> corner to offset the centrifugal cornering force. It corners more like a
> four wheel vehicle, but the center of gravity is closer to the outside
> wheels, so it has less leverage. Tricycles don't have the dynamic
> stability that a motorcycle has. Motorcycles steer by leaning and if the
> bike is pushed against the lean, the turn radius increases, reducing the
> cornering force.

Uuuuhh, yup.....

Old June 7th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Jun 2, 10:05 pm, wrote:
> I own a second hand two cylinder 12 horsepower Briggs & Stratton
> engine,the engine is in very good running condition and it has an
> electric starter.I have an old Cushman steering fork and Cushman front
> wheel.I ought to buy a Comet torque converter and some angle steel at a
> scrap iron yard and two boat trailer wheels and build something like an
> old style Cushman 3 wheel Truckster.It would be just right for going to
> the food store on those slow poke back roads I always drive on anyway.
> cuhulin

Hey - I went to school with a guy that owned a Chshman scooter. Two
speed trans, flathead single motor. It did ok.

Wierd electrical fault [email protected] Chrysler 3 March 11th 06 06:33 PM
Wierd braking problem... ABS? Help! mfshadow Technology 3 February 1st 06 02:03 PM
Wierd electrical problem Old Crow Jeep 2 March 22nd 05 10:12 AM
93 SL2 electrical problems: NOW it gets WIERD J.B. Bobbitt Saturn 4 March 11th 05 06:02 AM
90 Fox has a wierd steering glitch Jon VW water cooled 2 December 11th 04 06:28 PM