PLEASE .. need help putting a 351w in a 67

Old October 25th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike_in_SD

Default PLEASE .. need help putting a 351w in a 67

Hi .. I bought a rebuilt 351w from a guy that swore that it would
fit in my mustang. (67)

But I have two big problems.

1st is the sump hump on the pan runs into the steering linkage and
crossmember. So .. do they sell a pan oil pump kit that moves the
hump to the front ?

2nd is that neither the headers that came with the 351 or the standard
exaust manifolds from the old eng dont fit. Please tell me that someone
makes a header kit for this mix.

thanks a bunch and sorry if this has been asked
before, I have been googling all nite with no answers.

mike
Old October 25th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cobra65K

Old October 25th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cobra65K

Hedman Hedders make a 351 to early mustang set for automatic but you
did not state if it was auto or manual. also you need a aftermarket
front sump pan for the install. Let me know what else you have for me
to help more.

Old October 25th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Cobra65K" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hedman Hedders make a 351 to early mustang set for automatic but you
> did not state if it was auto or manual. also you need a aftermarket
> front sump pan for the install. Let me know what else you have for me
> to help more.
>
> Mike_in_SD wrote:
>> Hi .. I bought a rebuilt 351w from a guy that swore that it would
>> fit in my mustang. (67)
>>
>> But I have two big problems.
>>
>> 1st is the sump hump on the pan runs into the steering linkage and
>> crossmember. So .. do they sell a pan oil pump kit that moves the
>> hump to the front ?
>>

>> 2nd is that neither the headers that came with the 351 or the standard
>> exaust manifolds from the old eng dont fit. Please tell me that someone
>> makes a header kit for this mix.
>>
>> thanks a bunch and sorry if this has been asked
>> before, I have been googling all nite with no answers.
>>
>> mike

have used the original style "tri-by" headers in that application before.
The 69 style 351w oil pan is available aftermarket. you will need to change
the oil pump pickup.

Old October 25th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike_in_SD

(walt peifer) wrote in
>:

>"Cobra65K" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Hedman Hedders make a 351 to early mustang set for automatic but you
>> did not state if it was auto or manual. also you need a aftermarket
>> front sump pan for the install. Let me know what else you have for me
>> to help more.
>>
>> Mike_in_SD wrote:
>>>
>>> 1st is the sump hump on the pan runs into the steering linkage and
>>> crossmember. So .. do they sell a pan oil pump kit that moves the
>>> hump to the front ?
>>>

>>> 2nd is that neither the headers that came with the 351 or the
>>> standard exaust manifolds from the old eng dont fit. Please tell me
>>> that someone makes a header kit for this mix.
>>>

>have used the original style "tri-by" headers in that application
>before. The 69 style 351w oil pan is available aftermarket. you will
>need to change the oil pump pickup.

This is actually my son-in-laws car .. and just to complicate things
I checked the inside of the door and it says its a 65A. grin ..

My googling tells me that the shock towers are closer on a 65 than
a 67.

oh well .. can anyone tell me if the oil pan from the orig 289 will
fit the 351w, it has front sump.

mike

Old October 25th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Mike_in_SD wrote:

> This is actually my son-in-laws car .. and just to complicate things
> I checked the inside of the door and it says its a 65A. grin ..
>
> My googling tells me that the shock towers are closer on a 65 than
> a 67.

True. Check with Mustangs Plus for headers to fit that
application.

> oh well .. can anyone tell me if the oil pan from the orig 289 will
> fit the 351w, it has front sump.

No, it will not. All V8 engines in early chassis need a front
sump pan. In '69 the Mustang was available with a 351W. You can
get a stock replacement, chrome plated, drag race, or road race
pan for this - depending on how much you want to spend. Again,
check with Mustangs Plus.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old October 25th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:17:39 -0600, ".boB"
> wrote:

>Mike_in_SD wrote:
>
>> This is actually my son-in-laws car .. and just to complicate things
>> I checked the inside of the door and it says its a 65A. grin ..
>>
>> My googling tells me that the shock towers are closer on a 65 than
>> a 67.

>True. Check with Mustangs Plus for headers to fit that
>application.
>

>> oh well .. can anyone tell me if the oil pan from the orig 289 will
>> fit the 351w, it has front sump.

>No, it will not. All V8 engines in early chassis need a front
>sump pan. In '69 the Mustang was available with a 351W. You can
>get a stock replacement, chrome plated, drag race, or road race
>pan for this - depending on how much you want to spend. Again,
>check with Mustangs Plus.

Many engine shops advise avoiding chrome pans if the car is driven,
but OK for trailer queens, due to leakage around the seal.

Old October 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Steve[_20_]

Yes, just use the standard front sump oil pan available for any early
mustang 289/302/351 ,,they all fit. I have one in my garage on a 289 ,,but
there are thousands out there,,,in fact its the more common pan.
As far as headers Dougs makes a header specifically for this swap. The
problem is that its very close to the clutch z bar,,,and its hard to get in
there,,I did it in a 68.
The other issue is the engine mount ,,,, there is a problem with clearance
on 67 engines with stock mounts ,,,,this problem is a one year only problem
and from what I have heard some fit and some wont,,,, you have to find a
mount that works.
Steve

.. .

Old October 25th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Steve wrote:
> Yes, just use the standard front sump oil pan available for any early
> mustang 289/302/351 ,,they all fit.

They all fit the chassis. But you can't use a 289/302 pan on a
351. The rear bearing cap is a different size.