heater coil

Old September 30th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Default heater coil

DougW wrote:
> sws wrote:
>
> > I paid $4000 for the Jeep, had a head gasket leak, spent $600 on that
> > and new water pump, radiator...now this. Starting to wonder if this
> > car was a good deal or not. Thanks again!

> That's the problem with used cars, you never know how it was kept.
>
> Then again you don't have to watch a 25,000 investment with 8,000 in
> additional parts, bluebook at 2,000 either. :/
>
> Look at it as an excuse to increase your tool collection and fill
> up a website.
>
> --
> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
> HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks
> Gibson Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Stillen Rotors
> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge!

Wise you are!...I will fill my toolbox with glee!

Old September 30th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Default heater coil - Evaoprator replacement1.doc (0/1)

Dave wrote:
> Steve I found a doc. I wrote to someone who wanted to replace their
> evaporator. The heater core is in the heater box, and I replaced mine
> when I replaced the evaporator. You might think about doing the same
> because you will have to get the AC evacuated and recharged. Hope this
> helps Dave
>
> On 25 Sep 2006 17:00:25 -0700, "sws" > wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
> >cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
> >box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
> >myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
> >available?
> >
> >Steve

Dave,

Thanks for your document...it was very interesting...once you started
to describe the removal of the steering column...I knew I was in
trouble....luckily I have a mechanic in mind... anwer me this... does
the entire dash board have to be removed? At this point, it has only
leaded twice, and now I'm hoping it's a hose leaking...I looked at the
glove box and HOPED it could be disassembled and the core would lie
behine...I bet it's not that easy, is it...

Old September 30th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

billy ray wrote:
> The good news is AutoZone has a lifetime guaranteed one for less than $50
>
> The bad news is you have to remove the dashboard.
>
> The worse news is if you have air conditioning it is much more involved.
>

> "sws" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > All,
> >
> > This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
> > cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
> > box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
> > myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
> > available?
> >
> > Steve

AHHHHH! I have AC!!!!

Old September 30th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

digitalmaster wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote in message
> > sws wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
> >> cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
> >> box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
> >> myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
> >> available?

> > From what I can tell it isn't an easy job. Lots of things have to
> > come apart to get at the core. At least on the 93 ZJ it requires
> > removing the entire dashboard and disconnecting the AC plumbing
> > (which means a trip to have the AC pumped out and refilled)
> >
> > First thing to do is to make sure it's not a leaking hose right
> > at the firewall that's wicking into the cab. A heater core leaking
> > in the AC system usually runs out the AC drain hose.
> >
> > And in the mean time you can simply route one of the hoses back
> > or splice the two togheter to cut out the heater core.
> >
> > 1997 - 2001 are the OEM price from chryslerpartsdirect.com
> > is US$177.06
> >
> > NAPA has it for $64, but it's a basic part, probably good
> > but considering the effort it takes to replace a core, I'd
> > go for the OEM.
> >
> > If you have a dealer do it, be prepared for a big bill.
> > (>1,000) for just the time.
> >
> > --
> > DougW
> >

> after you replace the core,be sure everything electrical has a good
> ground.And put a ground wire on the core itself.Even trace voltage of less
> than 1 volt can cause electrolysis in aluminum heater cores.
> I went through 3 on my gmc Sonoma before I found that out.

That's great advice, THANK YOU...but unfortunately, it's way over my
head. Want to talk about rebuilding computers?, I'm the best....but
with your advice, I'll pass it on to the mechanic who will do the work
eventually...I haven't noticed the leaking since it happened 5 days
ago...

Old September 30th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Mike Romain wrote:
> Dave, this is a text only group. My server even cut your attachment
> post right out. You need to store the doc someplace and post a link to
> it.
>
> Lots of us use alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 for binaries and
> attachments. It is a seldom used group.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> Dave wrote:
> >
> > Steve I found a doc. I wrote to someone who wanted to replace their
> > evaporator. The heater core is in the heater box, and I replaced mine
> > when I replaced the evaporator. You might think about doing the same
> > because you will have to get the AC evacuated and recharged. Hope this
> > helps Dave
> >
> > On 25 Sep 2006 17:00:25 -0700, "sws" > wrote:
> >
> > >All,
> > >
> > >This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
> > >cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
> > >box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
> > >myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
> > >available?
> > >
> > >Steve

Lots of us use alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 for binaries and
attachments. It is a seldom used group

Thank you for the newsgroup!

I will certainly use it now!

sws

Old September 30th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Mike Romain wrote:
> Dave, this is a text only group. My server even cut your attachment
> post right out. You need to store the doc someplace and post a link to
> it.
>
> Lots of us use alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 for binaries and
> attachments. It is a seldom used group.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> Dave wrote:
> >
> > Steve I found a doc. I wrote to someone who wanted to replace their
> > evaporator. The heater core is in the heater box, and I replaced mine
> > when I replaced the evaporator. You might think about doing the same
> > because you will have to get the AC evacuated and recharged. Hope this
> > helps Dave
> >
> > On 25 Sep 2006 17:00:25 -0700, "sws" > wrote:
> >
> > >All,
> > >
> > >This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
> > >cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
> > >box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
> > >myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
> > >available?
> > >
> > >Steve

I apologize for the typos...

Old October 1st 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

I was taking my brother someplace once and refered to my Jeep as a car.
He said I shouldn't call it that because it's a truck, I replied it's
a JEEP, and IT knows what it is and doesn't care what anyone calls it.

That was about 200,000 miles ago so I don't think it got upset with me <G>

Jeff DeWitt

Old October 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave[_17_]

On 29 Sep 2006 17:36:21 -0700, "sws" > wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> Steve I found a doc. I wrote to someone who wanted to replace their
>> evaporator. The heater core is in the heater box, and I replaced mine
>> when I replaced the evaporator. You might think about doing the same
>> because you will have to get the AC evacuated and recharged. Hope this
>> helps Dave
>>
>> On 25 Sep 2006 17:00:25 -0700, "sws" > wrote:
>>
>> >All,
>> >
>> >This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep
>> >cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove
>> >box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this
>> >myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates
>> >available?
>> >
>> >Steve

>Dave,
>
>Thanks for your document...it was very interesting...once you started
>to describe the removal of the steering column...I knew I was in
>trouble....luckily I have a mechanic in mind... anwer me this... does
>the entire dash board have to be removed? At this point, it has only
>leaded twice, and now I'm hoping it's a hose leaking...I looked at the
>glove box and HOPED it could be disassembled and the core would lie
>behine...I bet it's not that easy, is it...

Steve, sorry for the delay in getting back, I haven't read the news
group. Yes the whole dash has to come out, because you have to remove
the heater box. Like Mike stated before "Make sure the leak isn't
coming from the heater hoses and is wicking into the heater box. I
haven't heard that heater cores were a problem with 97 XJ's.
Dave