1997 transmission sensors

Old September 19th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default 1997 transmission sensors

my check engine light came on every other month and auto zone told me
it was the transmission sensor creating the error code.

It only lasted one day, and all was fine.

Now, upon emission testing date here in TN, I failed the test.

The check engine light went off, luckily, and I passed emissions
testing, and got my tags.

Now, instead of being on once every other month for a day, the check
engine light is on for 25 days out of 30.

I've replaced oxygen sensors myself before on my Buick LeSabre, is it
possible to replace my transmission sensors on my jeep?

I've noticed that when the light is on, the transmission does not know
when to change into overdrive.

I have BOTH sensors giving an error message now on the transmission.

Can anyone point me towards the locations of the sensors?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Steve

Old September 20th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Carl, how did you get that out of Steve's post?

Jeff DeWitt

Old September 20th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:
> Carl, how did you get that out of Steve's post?

vicegrips? :]

Old September 20th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Wild guess.

Old September 23rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry, it's an 1997 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cyl with automatic
transmission, two wheel drive, and though it doesn't say scout on it,
I've seen others that do...

Old September 23rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

To start off, I would get a spray contact cleaner and clean the contacts
on the TPS which controls the transmission shift points. These throttle
position sensors on the 4.0's are notorious for getting bad connections.

Same goes for the other computer sensors like the one on the
transmission, they are easily prone to corrosion and intermittent
failures because of it because they only pass low power computer
signals. Using a spray contact cleaner that the electronic stores sell
does them wonders. Coating the plug seals with dielectric grease also
helps keep them clean.

When electronic parts fail, they normally up and die. Bad connections
usually make the intermittent failures.

I would do the clean before spending money on parts.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 25th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sws

Thank you so much for your time, Mike.

Are there any diagrams on-line that would show me the sensors
locations, or should I go ahead and buy the manuals they have for my
model at an auto parts store? What particular transmission do you think
I have?

Old September 25th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would get a basic Haynes manual for it. They aren't great but they do
help locate parts and give you all the settings for installing things.
The factory manual is the best, but it is expensive. I guess it depends
on how many repairs you are up for.

Mike