Does This Qualify as "Off-Roading?"

Old September 18th 06, 04:56 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Does This Qualify as "Off-Roading?"

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> If not, it's probably as close to it as this truck will ever get.
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/2ryo6er.jpg
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

It's a consequence of driving a too-big car in a normal or smaller
space.

Some people here have vehicles so large they can't pull a u-turn on a
residential street (near a mailbox). So they run up on the curb. The
massive wieght on the sidewalk in wet weather cracks the sidewalk.
Guess who gets to pay to fix the sidewalk. Nope, not the hummer-lover,
but the homeowner who owns the land under the right of way of the
sidewalk.

Land mines could serve a purpose here....

Old September 18th 06, 01:39 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Geoff Miller

> writes:

[ http://i10.tinypic.com/2ryo6er.jpg]

> It's a consequence of driving a too-big car in a normal or smaller
> space.

I've noticed that parking spaces are getting smaller, and that the
proportion of "compact car" spaces is increasing. Moreover, they
often seem to be given preference for more desirable locations.
Social engineering at work?

A standard parking space should be able to accomodate a full-size
pickup truck or a large (say, Expedition- or Sequoia-sized) SUV.
What's normal for parking spaces should reflect what's normal (or
at least, within the normal range) for passenger vehicles.

And like 'em or not, there's no denying that large SUVs are common.
There's nothing to be gained my pretending otherwise and sizing
parking spaces accordingly. That just leads to situations like
what a saw last night, where somebody took two spaces in a crowded
shopping-center lot with their Lincoln Navigator. Or drivers of
conventional passenger cars having to egress through the goddam
sunroof, 'cause there's not enough space to open their doors.

> Some people here have vehicles so large they can't pull a u-turn
> on a residential street (near a mailbox).

Wide turning circles aren't unique to large vehicles, although
running up on curbs is probably far more common among SUV drivers
than it is among drivers of conventional passenger cars. And yet,
SUV drivers will often slow their rugged, offroad-capable vehicles
to a crawl when driving over speedbumps. Go figure.

Geoff

--
"Next time, grab it, put it in your mouth, and start humming
the Battle Hymn Of the Republic. That should do the trick."

Old September 20th 06, 03:19 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: Scott en Aztlán

(Geoff Miller) said in ca.driving:

> writes:
>>
>>[ http://i10.tinypic.com/2ryo6er.jpg]
>>
>>> It's a consequence of driving a too-big car in a normal or smaller
>>> space.

>>I've noticed that parking spaces are getting smaller, and that the
>>proportion of "compact car" spaces is increasing. Moreover, they
>>often seem to be given preference for more desirable locations.
>>Social engineering at work?

>That may be what they are attempting, but unless they start enforcing
>the "one vehicle, one space" rules the SUV owners are just going to
>take up 2 or more "compact" spaces.

Haul it off, and charge $300 to get it out of impound.

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old September 20th 06, 06:51 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:19:32 -0400, "Ted Kennedy - President of DDDAMM
(Drunk Driving Divers Against Mad Mothers)" >
wrote:

>Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
>to deliver any clue to the following address: Scott en Aztlán
>
>This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

(Geoff Miller) said in ca.driving:

> writes:
>>>
>>>[ http://i10.tinypic.com/2ryo6er.jpg]

>>>I've noticed that parking spaces are getting smaller, and that the
>>>proportion of "compact car" spaces is increasing. Moreover, they
>>>often seem to be given preference for more desirable locations.
>>>Social engineering at work?

>>That may be what they are attempting, but unless they start enforcing
>>the "one vehicle, one space" rules the SUV owners are just going to
>>take up 2 or more "compact" spaces.

>Haul it off, and charge $300 to get it out of impound.

I understand the frustration, but most parking lots are private
property, and impound isn't a probability; at least, impound by
police.
However, many private parking lots have sinage (legally) stating
certain rulkes that apply to that lot, with towing and stortage fees
applied if those rules are violated.
But I've never seen any rules about one vehicle per space backed up by
towing. (And, obviously, because I've never seen it doesn't mean it
hasn't happened.)

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 21st 06, 06:14 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Scott en Aztlán
said in rec.autos.driving:
> Bill Funk > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >But I've never seen any rules about one vehicle per space backed up by
> >towing.

> Which only goes to show how carefully you read my posts.

What does "The requested message, uvi1g213etmkomp9r2j6ql65kehta8d1ee@
4ax.com, could not be found," - which is what google returned - have to
do with this? Otherwise, I'd say that you should really turnoff the "X-
No-Archive: Yes," thing if you are going to reference yourself.

--
F orever
B enefitting
Old September 21st 06, 09:34 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:17:49 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>Bill Funk > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>But I've never seen any rules about one vehicle per space backed up by
>>towing.

>Which only goes to show how carefully you read my posts.

And how carefully you snip.
""But I've never seen any rules about one vehicle per space backed up
by towing. (And, obviously, because I've never seen it doesn't mean it
hasn't happened.)"
I've seen signs that say that any cars so parked will be towed, but
I've never seen it backed up by any actual towing.
Maybe if I'd added the word "actual" originally it would have helped.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 22nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
sloopy

Geoff Miller wrote:
> > writes:
>
> [ http://i10.tinypic.com/2ryo6er.jpg]
>

>>It's a consequence of driving a too-big car in a normal or smaller
>>space.

> I've noticed that parking spaces are getting smaller, and that the
> proportion of "compact car" spaces is increasing.

That probably is very dependent on where you live and where you park.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a "compact car" space. OTOH,
I have noticed that the spaces at Sam's Club are very accomodating,
while other stores in the same strip mall are not so generous.

> Moreover, they
> often seem to be given preference for more desirable locations.
> Social engineering at work?
>
> A standard parking space should be able to accomodate a full-size
> pickup truck or a large (say, Expedition- or Sequoia-sized) SUV.

They generally do, even if it is a tight fit. Unfortunately, so many
drivers are just sloppy when they park. When drivers of large
SUVs/pickups park, it's more noticeable.

> What's normal for parking spaces should reflect what's normal (or
> at least, within the normal range) for passenger vehicles.

And I still say driving an oversized truck is not normal. I'm not
saying it shouldn't be allowed, but that doesn't make it normal.