2005 Grand Caravan (Electrical Question)

Old August 13th 06, 03:08 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John-USN

Default 2005 Grand Caravan (Electrical Question)

Hello

My wife just called me and stated that her 2005 Grand Caravan (14K miles)
was "acting up"......that the CD player/Radio would go OFF, the brake light
would come ON, but the van would continue to run normally.....then the brake
light would go OFF and the CD/Radio would come back ON. I have never seen
anything like that before. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be
causing this?? I drove her van a long distance recently, with no
problems, but I listened to Satellite Radio the entire time.....could there
be a problem with the CD player....but, why would the brake light come on?
Or, is my wife imagining things?

Thanks in advance.....regards, John

Old August 13th 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C[_1_]

On 2006-08-13, John-USN wrote:
> My wife just called me and stated that her 2005 Grand Caravan (14K miles)
> was "acting up"......that the CD player/Radio would go OFF, the brake light
> would come ON, but the van would continue to run normally.....then the brake
> light would go OFF and the CD/Radio would come back ON. I have never seen
> anything like that before. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be
> causing this?? I drove her van a long distance recently, with no
> problems, but I listened to Satellite Radio the entire time.....could there
> be a problem with the CD player....but, why would the brake light come on?
> Or, is my wife imagining things?

Take it to the dealer, it's still under warranty. Duh.

--
"Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Old August 13th 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John-USN

Dan....I was simply asking if anyone had ever seen the same problem....Duh!

Old August 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C[_1_]

On 2006-08-13, John-USN wrote:

<silly top-posting corrected>

>> Take it to the dealer, it's still under warranty. Duh.

> Dan....I was simply asking if anyone had ever seen the same problem....Duh!

What does it matter? You're going to take it to the dealer, anyway.
Duh.

--
"Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Old August 13th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"John-USN" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> My wife just called me and stated that her 2005 Grand Caravan (14K miles)
> was "acting up"......that the CD player/Radio would go OFF, the brake

light
> would come ON, but the van would continue to run normally.....then the

brake
> light would go OFF and the CD/Radio would come back ON. I have never

seen
> anything like that before. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be
> causing this?? I drove her van a long distance recently, with no
> problems, but I listened to Satellite Radio the entire time.....could

there
> be a problem with the CD player....but, why would the brake light come on?
> Or, is my wife imagining things?
>
> Thanks in advance.....regards, John

John your gonna have to have the dealer run a module scan on everything to
see what codes if any are stored.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 14th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John-USN

Thanks Glenn.....appreciate your help.

. ..

Old August 16th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John-USN

Glenn....Well, the van was at the dealer today....no codes....they drove it
for 8 miles and could not get the problem to replicate.....so, nothing was
done. Just wonder if the problem is a prelude to a bigger issue.

John

Old August 16th 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"John-USN" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> My wife just called me and stated that her 2005 Grand Caravan (14K miles)
> was "acting up"......that the CD player/Radio would go OFF, the brake

light
> would come ON, but the van would continue to run normally.....then the

brake
> light would go OFF and the CD/Radio would come back ON. I have never

seen
> anything like that before. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be
> causing this?? I drove her van a long distance recently, with no
> problems, but I listened to Satellite Radio the entire time.....could

there
> be a problem with the CD player....but, why would the brake light come on?
> Or, is my wife imagining things?
>
> Thanks in advance.....regards, John

Is there an add on satellite radio? Are there any after market accessories
on this vehicle?
Being that it is an intermittent problem and no fault codes stored to direct
someone to a place to start looking it is going be hard to diagnois.
Just keep getting it documented each time you take it to the dealer if the
problem exists

Glenn

Old August 17th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John-USN

Glenn....Not an "add on" SIRIUS, but there is a "STOCK" 6-CD Changer and
SIRIUS radio. The van completely cut out today at a light.....everything
off. CD Player was playing at the time. Van started right back up. It
only seems to occur, randomly, when the CD player is on. SAT radio and
regular do not cause problem....nor does problem occur when radio is
completely off.

I think I have a bad CD changer.

John

Old August 17th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"John-USN" > wrote in message
> Glenn....Not an "add on" SIRIUS, but there is a "STOCK" 6-CD Changer and
> SIRIUS radio. The van completely cut out today at a

light.....everything
> off. CD Player was playing at the time. Van started right back up.

It
> only seems to occur, randomly, when the CD player is on. SAT radio and
> regular do not cause problem....nor does problem occur when radio is
> completely off.
>
> I think I have a bad CD changer.
>
> John
>

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "John-USN" > wrote in message
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> My wife just called me and stated that her 2005 Grand Caravan (14K

miles)
> >> was "acting up"......that the CD player/Radio would go OFF, the brake

> > light
> >> would come ON, but the van would continue to run normally.....then the

> > brake
> >> light would go OFF and the CD/Radio would come back ON. I have never

> > seen
> >> anything like that before. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be
> >> causing this?? I drove her van a long distance recently, with no
> >> problems, but I listened to Satellite Radio the entire time.....could

> > there
> >> be a problem with the CD player....but, why would the brake light come
> >> on?
> >> Or, is my wife imagining things?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.....regards, John
> >>

> > Is there an add on satellite radio? Are there any after market
> > accessories
> > on this vehicle?
> > Being that it is an intermittent problem and no fault codes stored to
> > direct
> > someone to a place to start looking it is going be hard to diagnois.
> > Just keep getting it documented each time you take it to the dealer if

the
> > problem exists
> >
> > Glenn

Im pretty sure that CD changer is on the BUS system of the vehicle. If the
CD changer has an internal fault I would imagine it could cause problems. I
would have thought that the dealer would have found a fault code. Hopefully
the technician that checked it out also checked the Audio system for fault
codes. The only thing you could do outside of taking it back all the time
would be to disconnect the CD changer from the system and see if the problem
goes away. if it does, plug it back in and see if the problem reoccurs. If
it does, See the dealer service manager and explain to him what you found
and demand that the CD exchanger be sent out.

good luck

Glenn