Painting Help

Old July 23rd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
1978CJDon

Default Painting Help

Hi,
I'm looking to give my 78 CJ7 a fresh coat of paint. Since i plan on
replacing the body in the semi-near future, i'm not looking for it to
be a professional job so i'm going to try to tackle it myself. My
question is this... It's currently black with a clear top-coat. Its
seen better days. How far do i need to sand down before i can prime
and paint? Just until i reach the black, or do i need to go all the
way to the metal? I'm planning on making it a dark blue.
Thanks for the help!

Old July 23rd 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

1978CJDon wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to give my 78 CJ7 a fresh coat of paint. Since i plan on
> replacing the body in the semi-near future, i'm not looking for it to
> be a professional job so i'm going to try to tackle it myself. My
> question is this... It's currently black with a clear top-coat. Its
> seen better days. How far do i need to sand down before i can prime
> and paint? Just until i reach the black, or do i need to go all the
> way to the metal? I'm planning on making it a dark blue.
> Thanks for the help!

How shiny do you want it?
Seriously, almost anyone can paint over perfect metal and get shiny.
No one can paint over ripples and get shiny.

With paint work, it's all in the prep work.

If there's no rust, no need to go to the metal. At the quickest and
dirtiest level, scuff the paint with 300 grit or so, and prime and paint
over that.

When you're sanding, if you don't think it's smooth enough, you're
right. If you think it's smooth enough, you're probably wrong.

It depends on how many hours you want to invest in it. I spend about
two hours sanding my race car before paint. I'd probably spend 100
hours on a show car. A pro would probably spend even more....

Ray