Synthetic Motor Oil

Old April 20th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Synthetic Motor Oil

The way I see it as a consumer,
"synthetic" motor oil is a glorified blend of dino-juice and a man-made
lubricant from a petroleum base, which in some cases might be the better
of the lot.

It's probably a problem for the refiners to utilize all the "ends"
created during the refining process, and the users are the "scapegoats".

I think most any "approved" motor oil for the case in point, will -
serve the consumer well when used according to instructions. Just my
ideas.

mho
vƒe

Old April 20th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> The way I see it as a consumer,

i.e. as someone who actually drinks automotive fluids.

Old April 20th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> The way I see it as a consumer,
> "synthetic" motor oil is a glorified blend of dino-juice and a man-made
> lubricant from a petroleum base, which in some cases might be the better
> of the lot.

Depends on the manufacturer/marketer and sometimes the weight.
Many readily available "synthetic" motor oils don't contain any
petroleum-sourced base oil except maybe a small amount as an
additive carrier. Mobil 1 is an example, as is Red Line. There's
the "mysterious" (German-made) Castrol 0W-30. Pennzoil's newer
Platinum oil is supposed to be petroleum free.

Again - additive packs are often the real advances in motor oil
technology. One of the things about charging more for a
"synthetic" oil is that the manufacturer might be willing to
put in a more expensive additive.

> It's probably a problem for the refiners to utilize all the "ends"
> created during the refining process, and the users are the "scapegoats".

There's a use for almost everything in the refining process. Then
there are processes that change the structure of some of the
"fractions".

> I think most any "approved" motor oil for the case in point, will -
> serve the consumer well when used according to instructions. Just my
> ideas.

There are some manufacturers that have motor oil approval lists
or specific standards. These include GM 4718M for the Corvette,
BMW-LL, a host of VW standards, Mercedes-Benz 229.X. These
generally set the bar higher than API SM, although not all of the
approved oils are marketed as "synthetic".