Magnum RT highway mileage

Old October 25th 04, 10:06 PM
Dan

Default Magnum RT highway mileage

Just got back from a weekend trip. Here's my stats for highway
mileage on the Magnum RT 5.7L "Hemi":

21.51 mpg and 21.48 mpg on two tanks of 89 octane

This was about 75 percent interstate, running around 80; 15 percent
four-lane divided highway, running 65 or 70; and 10 percent two-lane
running 50, then wide open throttle to 75 when passing, numerous
times.

Trip was about 315 miles each way, which is about one tank each way.

This has astounded my friend who has a Magnum with the larger 6
cylinder. He gets less than 20 mpg on the highway, also running 89
octane. And, of course, it's way better than the Dodge Ram trucks get
with their 5.7L, which is a different engine.
Old October 26th 04, 01:17 AM
James C. Reeves

"Dan" > wrote in message
| Just got back from a weekend trip. Here's my stats for highway
| mileage on the Magnum RT 5.7L "Hemi":
|
| 21.51 mpg and 21.48 mpg on two tanks of 89 octane
|
| This was about 75 percent interstate, running around 80; 15 percent
| four-lane divided highway, running 65 or 70; and 10 percent two-lane
| running 50, then wide open throttle to 75 when passing, numerous
| times.
|
| Trip was about 315 miles each way, which is about one tank each way.
|
| This has astounded my friend who has a Magnum with the larger 6
| cylinder. He gets less than 20 mpg on the highway, also running 89
| octane. And, of course, it's way better than the Dodge Ram trucks get
| with their 5.7L, which is a different engine.

My father's 83 Buick LeSabre V8 got 26MPG highway and so did my boss's 80's
vintage Pontiac Pariseanne V8. That was 20 years ago!! Granted their engines
(305 V8's I think) only pumped out 145 horsepower with 0-60 times somewhere
around 10-seconds (about average times for the day). I think the speedo pegged
at 80 (maybe 85). But then gasoline in inflation adjusted dollars was
equillivant to $3.50 a gallon...so people settled for a lot less power back
then.

Old October 26th 04, 01:17 AM
James C. Reeves

Old October 26th 04, 01:57 AM
Jack Carter

Not bad, but just for comparison's sake, that's about 7 or 8 mpg LESS than
what my 405hp Z06 Vette gets under about the same conditions. NO FLAMING,
please. I LIKE the RT and have been trying to negotiate with a dealer to buy
one. But he's just not willing to deal. And, considering the laws of supply
and demand, I guess I don't blame him.

Old October 26th 04, 01:57 AM
Jack Carter

Old October 26th 04, 12:25 PM
Wicked96SS

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Jack Carter wrote:

> Not bad, but just for comparison's sake, that's about 7 or 8 mpg LESS than
> what my 405hp Z06 Vette gets under about the same conditions. NO FLAMING,
> please. I LIKE the RT and have been trying to negotiate with a dealer to buy
> one. But he's just not willing to deal. And, considering the laws of supply
> and demand, I guess I don't blame him.

Hardly fair to compare a 6 speed car that is considerably lighter than the
maganum. Also, can the Vette hold 4 adults and luggage and still get that
mileage? Heck, it can't even hold 4 adults! I am not flaming you, just
think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Also, I am a bit sceptical on the mileage you quoted for the Z06...
Although I am no expert on them, I know several people that have them, and
NONE of them report gas mileage like that. Although, they might not be as
controlled as you and able to stay out of the throttle! Again, I am just
suprised at that number... 29.5 MPG from a Z06? WOW!

Old October 26th 04, 12:25 PM
Wicked96SS

Old October 26th 04, 04:17 PM
Jack Carter

The EPA road mileage rating is 29 mpg!!!!

Old October 26th 04, 04:17 PM
Jack Carter

Old October 26th 04, 04:44 PM
Wicked96SS

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Jack Carter wrote:

> The EPA road mileage rating is 29 mpg!!!!

I admire the self control one must have to get 29 MPG...

Magnum RT Fuel Mileage Dan Dodge 48 October 30th 04 02:47 PM
Dodge Magnum RT 2005 Real World Mileage GRL Dodge 2 September 24th 04 09:06 AM