RLCs Can Be a Good Thing

Old February 28th 05, 08:59 PM
Arif Khokar

Mike Z. Helm wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:56:31 GMT, Arif Khokar >

>>>I didn't say "very few" - I just said most drivers.

>>Note that the sentence I wrote above does not include the word not.

> I didn't say "very few drivers ran red lights", I said "most drivers do
> not".

They are effectively the same thing if most + very few = all.
Old March 1st 05, 05:07 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>But it can only detect ONE offense at ONE intersection. If the
>>intersection has no underlying defects, it's a money loser.

> One could say the same for stop signs and traffic lights.

Which is why stop signs are mis used as speed control devices after great
complaint of neighborhood busybodies and stoplights installed after great
complaint and fatalities. Ever notice the kind of effort required to get
traffic control devices that COST money installed?

> Where did I say that my observations were limited to CA?

I simply do not see great numbers of MFFY red-light runners.

>>> Fewer collisions means the government can save money on fire,
>>> paramedic, and other emergency personnel. Plus, RLC-equipped
>>> intersections will ALWAYS generate revenue, because there will always
>>> be the clueless soccermom on her cell phone who doesn't realize she
>>> just drove her SUV right through the red light until the ticket comes
>>> in the mail.

>>RLCs don't reduce collisions. They simply record them.

> Actually, people are much better behaved when they know that Big
> Brother is watching. Think about the way you drive when there is a cop
> car behind you. And when people are better behaved, they don't pull as
> many stupid, dangerous moves. Kinda like the way my son drove my car
> when the tracking device was installed.

Sounds like an arguement for a viewscreen in every home. That aside, I
haven't seen anything that indicates a massive change in people's
behavior because of RLCs. Just as parking tickets haven't put an end to
illegal parking.

Old March 1st 05, 06:14 AM
RobW

Brent P wrote:

> I simply do not see great numbers of MFFY red-light runners.

Boy, howdee, I see'em every day here in Las Vegas. When I'm first off
at a light, I ALWAYS look both ways, some of these *******s will barrel
through VERY late and VERY fast, not just a half-second behind the
yellow light at 5 or 10 over, something everyone's done. What I've
heard called, the Orange light.

Sorry, I'm new here. What exactly is MFFY?

> >>RLCs don't reduce collisions. They simply record them.

Some argue they cause them.

> > Actually, people are much better behaved when they know that Big
> > Brother is watching.

Is this reason enough to let him watch?

>>Think about the way you drive when there is a cop
> > car behind you.

I don't like that feeling. Should I feel that way all the time, that
cop-in-the-mirror feeling, just to make sure I behave? Why stop there?
Besides, I don't feel safer with a cop on my tail, and definitely
wouldn't want one there all the time... I know that cops are not
themselves always to be trusted. I live in Las Vegas, for pete's sake!

Not that I'm paranoid. But are they out to get me???

>>And when people are better behaved, they don't pull as
> > many stupid, dangerous moves. Kinda like the way my son drove my

car
> > when the tracking device was installed.

True enough. But your son's a kid, he has no rights. And truckers,
hey, it ain't their truck, and if it is, it ain't their cargo. They
don't want the job or the contract that badly, they can move on. When
the gov't requires such devices on my car, like with that per-mile tax
idea, well, let's just call me non-compliant, ok?

> Sounds like an arguement for a viewscreen in every home. That aside,

> haven't seen anything that indicates a massive change in people's
> behavior because of RLCs. Just as parking tickets haven't put an end

> illegal parking.

Hear, Hear. As for changes in driver ability, I'd like to rant a bit,
if I may. I've been driving (legally) for 22 years, for a living for
some of those years, over most of the country and in many of its great
cities. I can't say it's gotten worse. It has not gotten better.
Overall safety has definitely improved, due to technology. As for
driving skill, there is regional variation, to be sure.

(WARNING! The following contains regional generalities that may offend!
If you are easily offended DO NOT READ!)

I thought the worst drivers in the US were in South Florida, till I
moved to Vegas. It's like the worst drivers in the US all decided to
live here, kinda like all the smokers in LA have moved here, or will
soon. The midwest and NE, they drive fast, but are generally
courteous, particularly Michigan and Ohio. The South is fast, not so
courteous (on the road, that is.) Detroit is murder on cars, people
drive fast and the roads are terrible. The city seems to have its own
rules as always, an aggressive style is called for, expected even.
Washington DC drivers are appallingly bad, not surprising given that
the town's main industry is government. Boston's traffic sucks, but
they have really good public trans, that I used a lot when I lived
there. I LOVE my cars, so to get me out of it, the public trans has to
be good. I never drove in NYC, never lived there. Yeah, Southern CA's
pretty bad, the traffic Sucks on a Scale like no other, but you just
don't seem to see the same level of sheer incompetence as you do in
Vegas. You see a lot mistakes more overall in CA, I guess, due to
sheer numbers. I think here the avg. skill and attention levels are
lower, while the risk-taking is higher, a deadly combo. Could be we've
just got more drunks (per capita).

Just my Opinion, worth every penny you paid. ;-)

Old March 1st 05, 06:50 AM
Arif Khokar

RobW wrote:

> Sorry, I'm new here. What exactly is MFFY?

It stands for Me First, **** You.

Oh, and try to keep your attributions straight. You were actually
responding to two different people in your post (which gets kind of
confusing)
Old March 1st 05, 07:04 AM
RobW

Arif Khokar wrote:
> RobW wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I'm new here. What exactly is MFFY?

> It stands for Me First, **** You.

Thank you!

> Oh, and try to keep your attributions straight. You were actually
> responding to two different people in your post (which gets kind of
> confusing)

Thanks again. I was aware of it, I'll use names to be clear next time.

Old March 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Agreed. However, red lights still get run even at correctly engineered
> intersections. The presence of a RLC might not make any money for the
> city, but it would still reduce the number of red light runners at
> that intersection.

Would be trivial. The correct engineering will reduce it by 90 something
percent if I recall correctly. At best you're looking at a couple percent
reduction after that.

> If, someday, a city actually installs RLCs "for safety" as they claim
> has been their motivation all along, that would be A Good Thing.

They aren't for safety. Government doesn't do things for our safety. It
does things for it's power, it's money, and it's survival.

>>Now, your arguement seems to be of
>>one that a small minority of drivers is such a problem, that ALL of us
>>should always be tracked, logged, watched, etc.

> A properly functioning RLC will not track, log, or watch you unless
> you violate the law. I do not support the perversion of those RLCs for
> other purposes.

The government could work around that so easily. In fact they already do.
It simply takes making everyone into a violator.

Old March 1st 05, 08:00 PM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> If you're OK with private security cameras, why do you draw the line
> at red light cameras?

I'll let you know after I'm forced to wear a license plate around my neck
with a number that links to my name and address.

Old March 1st 05, 09:05 PM
Furious George

Aztl=E1n wrote:

> > If you're OK with private security cameras, why do you draw the

line
> > at red light cameras?

> I'll let you know after I'm forced to wear a license plate around my

neck
> with a number that links to my name and address.

No one forces you to have a license plate on your car. That is totally
your choice.