2000 SL2 revs up high for no reason, is it a tranny? problem

Old January 13th 05, 12:25 AM

Default 2000 SL2 revs up high for no reason, is it a tranny? problem

Do you have to drain the coolant to remove the CTS?

-JimG

Old January 13th 05, 01:25 AM

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:53:54 -0600, "dorkus.erectus" >
wrote:

>I had a similar problem with my 2001 SL (5 speed).
>Idle would often go to 1700 RPM.
>The dealer replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and all was fine.
>
>HTH
>Rick

Not picking on you Rick, but I've heard often the CTS is the bug. I
have the same kinda problem with my 97SL2 stalling infrequently.

But what I wanted to ask others, do you think dealers bill you for a
higher fix, do that fix, and then toss in a quick fix(without telling
you), so they're higher one appeared to work?

Not saying they don't do the more costly work, just that they suggest
that and secretly on the side do the real fix too.

Just asking....

>"Karl Kasamon" > wrote in message
. com...
>> My
>> 2000 SL2 (automatic) started developing a frequent but not continuous
>> problem, a few months ago. I think it is getting slowly worse. After
>> being driven for 5 miles, especially in the morning traffic, it revs
>> the engine to about 1.5k RPM, which is about 40% higher than it should
>> be. So I stop at the red light just before getting to work and it
>> starts revving higher and higher, and then plateaus at about 1.5k RPM.
>> I think that is also pulls a bit, that is it seems to accelerate when
>> I am coasting with no gas, at low speeds, and ends up moving faster
>> than the average automatic transmission car.
>>
>> I had the transmission fluid and filter changed about a month after
>> this started, and it made no difference, or maybe worsened it a bit.
>>
>> I bought this thing from Enterprise rentacar, 1.5 yrs ago with about
>> 39K miles, it ran great, and now it has about 58K miles.
>>
>> I hope you can suggest what the problem is. Maybe a computer or
>> sensor, or the transmission computer (is there such a thing?).
>>
>> Thanks a million.
>>
>> Karl Kasamon
>> Baltimore

later,