Clutch bleed problem

Old June 7th 05, 01:15 PM

Default Clutch bleed problem

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my 91 Dodge Stealth. Is there
some magical way to bleed it? I can't get it to the point of having a firm
pedal.
Thanks!
Brian

Old June 7th 05, 02:47 PM
Brian

Maybe the master is gone too. Normally, you bleed any hydraulic system with
slow pumps into a bleed bottle. If you close the bleed screw while
returning the pedal to the top of it's stroke, that can help, but if you
have a good hose attached to the bleed screw so that there is always fluid
over the bleeder, it's not required. If you have a fairly straight
down-hill run from the master to the slave, you can gravity-bleed, but I'm
not patient enough for that. If you let air into the system at the master
end, then you may need to bleed the master separately first.

Brian

. ..

Old June 8th 05, 02:34 AM
pater

If you have a bleeder screw on the slave, put a piece of some kind of
tubing (preferrably clear plastic) that fits the nipple snuggly & get
the other end above the level of the master, or even stick it into the
top of the master & bleed away. This will cure your dilema. If you have
no bleeder (like ford trucks & some GM) , remove the slave, open the
bleeder device, let it gravity bleed with the bleeder hole facing
topmost & the actuating rod fully extended. When you don't see anymore
air, shut it off, reinstall the slave, pushing the actuating rod in as
you go & the same successful result will be accomplished. Good luck.

Old June 8th 05, 04:06 PM
Mike Romain

Does it have a bleeder screw or just a plug fitting?

I was told Chrysler is putting ones on Jeeps with no bleeder fitting,
just a plug. You are supposed to hand push in and out the slave until
the air bubbles stop coming out of the MC or something like that.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 8th 05, 05:35 PM

No, there's a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder. The Stealth is actually
a Mitsubishi product.
Brian

Old June 9th 05, 02:54 AM
pater

To answer mike, I guess you would remove the plug & bleed it that way.
The ones on ford trucks that I see have a set screw & about a eighth
inch hole where the fliud comes out.

Old June 9th 05, 04:29 PM
Mike Romain

pater wrote:

> To answer mike, I guess you would remove the plug & bleed it that way.
> The ones on ford trucks that I see have a set screw & about a eighth
> inch hole where the fliud comes out.

The folks using them said the instructions warned if you open it, it is
dead. They are just supposed to pump the slave piston by hand until
gravity lets all the air back up through the MC. Sounds wonky to me,
but hey....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's